OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote:
Ah! That's interesting. My local dealer has initially said £660 for the same top box. I'll let you know how dealer negotiation (yeah, right) progresses next week....!! :)

Save your money - bike looks much better without the top box!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: Save your money - bike looks much better without the top box!

The small BMW one, which is half the price looks good and you can still have the key coded.  Mine is now being used on bike No 5 and is still like new. Its big enough to take a helmet.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, a top box is useful when touring and for when Mrs F perches pillion and has a back support for reassurance. The smaller 28 litre top box does indeed, as you say, take one helmet, but it's the bigger capacity 49 litre box I'm really after when touring.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Had a chat with my dealer today re accessories, in particular the good 'ol Beemer 49 l top box! The dealer cost price is £549, + their markup and you're up to the £650 mark!! However, when discussing the BMW Motorrad on-line store price of £540 (incl. shipping), the dealer obviously agreed that this was the most sensible option, as the UK dealers will honour the 2 yr warranty that comes with OEM accessories when bought from BMW Motorrad on-line. The same applies with other OEM accessories bought on-line from the Motorrad store. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't find this BMW Motorrad on line store showing this price. If its not a genuine BNW dealer you will be very lucky to get any warrant from any other dealer without a franchise receipt. If we are talking Moto 24 I recall someone buying a screen for a 1600 GTL only to receive a second hand GT one.  He had a fight to get his money back.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this the on-line store & top case, http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... -matt.html.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
richardbd wrote: Save your money - bike looks much better without the top box!

The small BMW one, which is half the price looks good and you can still have the key coded.  Mine is now being used on bike No 5 and is still like new. Its big enough to take a helmet.

I also have the small box RTman.  Being vain and preferring the look of the bike with panniers only, I try not to use it too often.  Commuting though, it's panniers off and small topbox on.  Sometimes even the vain have to be practical!

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Is this the on-line store & top case, http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... -matt.html.

This site and Moto 24 look suspiciously like the same people to me.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:This site and Moto 24 look suspiciously like the same people to me.
BMW Motorrad Store, http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... -matt.html.

Moto 24, http://www.moto24.co.uk/bmw-top-case-49 ... -matt.html.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote:
DaygloDavid wrote: Is this the on-line store & top case, http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw-top-case-49-liter-r1200rt-2014-k52-white-aluminium-metallic-matt.html.

This site and Moto 24 look suspiciously like the same people to me.

Is the above not an official BMW Shop?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: Is the above not an official BMW Shop?

To my knowledge BMW don't just have shops only full dealers.  Its obviously somewhere in Germany but its funny they dont show bikes.  Its also odd having 2 sites. 
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, BMW do not have shops as such, but this site which has been referred to on this thread is United Online Stores GmbH (see extract from website below), of which www.BMW-Motorrad-Bohling.com sells genuine motorcycle clothes and equipment by BMW Motorrad. More importantly, if a UK franchised dealer not only openly recognises them but will also genuinely honour the 2 yr BMW warranty, then it's all legitimate then, isn't it? I think so, and I also realised (some time ago) the huge mark-up BMW put on thir goods sold here in the UK, irrespective of the onerous 20% VAT.

"Welcome to United Online Stores! We are a young company based in the city of Karlsruhe operating several multilingual online stores selling motorcycle and bicycle equipment and clothes. We are not only active in Germany but also in Great Britain, Italy, Spain, and France.
We made our first tentative steps on the online market by selling used motorcycle parts on a popular internet auction platform. The once small ebay department of a motorcycle retailer has grown into a separate autonomous company, United Online Stores GmbH".
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As I suspected then, not directly connected with BMW, just sells some of their kit. As for someone going cold into a dealer with a leaking £500.00 coat say, no BMW receipt and wanting it exchanged, best of luck with that one..
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: Yes, BMW do not have shops as such, but this site which has been referred to on this thread is United Online Stores GmbH (see extract from website below),of which www.BMW-Motorrad-Bohling.com sells genuine motorcycle clothes and equipment by BMW Motorrad.
I was told by my dealers that this company had lost the right to buy from BMW direct for selling like this online but BMW has to keep supplying them for 1 yr, true or false I have no idea  :-X
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I wonder whether Frank aka fmantek on this forum can enlighten us re the Motorrad Bohling agreement with BMW re selling OEM equipment and for how much longer, assuming Benchmark's dealer is being factual.....??