OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
fmantek

Re: OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Post by fmantek »

Steve F wrote: I wonder whether Frank aka fmantek on this forum can enlighten us re the Motorrad Bohling agreement with BMW re selling OEM equipment and for how much longer, assuming Benchmark's dealer is being factual.....??
Sadly, I can not. But there are several BMW dealers in Germany, selling online, some even over eBay (gasp), sometimes for serious discounts.

Not sure about the legal situations in whatever countries you are from, but if you buy an original part, with documentation etc, BMW will have to service and give warranty on this, if you bought it local or Internet or in a shady corner of the town in the middle of the night from a man with an eyepatch. That should be true for all of Europe.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Most UK dealers have online shops and quite a few will get rid of unwanted stock using EBay.  The difference is you get the required paperwork for any subsequent warranty issues.
Crater

Post by Crater »

Or. Givi or Shad come with warranties and with the money you save you could try the Oktoberfest in Munich.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't  know about Shad but you can open a Givi with a toothpick so don't  leave anything in it when you get there.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Benchmark wrote: They are based in Germany and that's their current rate of VAT in Germany  ;)

Man, if that ship to U.S., that would be about $685 and a steal (relatively).
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mercator1,
Well, they appear to ship worldwide and when you use USA on the shipping deatils, and it re-calculates for currency exchange rate, the 49 l box with coded keys comes to approx $750. Is that still a steal stateside?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Yes, by much more than $300 at my local dealer.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Total was $735 shipped to my door, so I went ahead and ordered.  Hopefully, it'll eventually get here.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Wow! A big saving. Just got to receive it now...! Joking aside, I'd be interested to hear what you think of their service etc when the box arrives, as I'm contemplating ordering the same.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

What has been your best quote or from another dealer?
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

£760 (at least) from the dealer .v. £560 from the German web site (incl. of coded locks and shipping).
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: £760 (at least) from the dealer .v. £560 from the German web site (incl. of coded locks and shipping).

Most UK dealers will supply them for about £650 with a coded lock.  Don't know how a wed site in Germany can supply one if those.  To get one already coded you need to have proof of ownership before you can order it and to code a cylinder you need an igniting key.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, a misquote on my part there. If bought from the website, my local dealer will oblige with coding the locks for a modest fee. Regardless, it's still a saving of nigh on £100 for the basic top box all in....and still with a 2yr warranty recognised by the UK dealer.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will only get the BMW warranty if you can prove date of purchase with a BMW receipt. The dealer has to provide this to BMW UK when he submits his claim.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

My dealer has dealt with equipment warranty claims previously regarding items bought in this manner, and as it's clearly genuine OEM equipment/accessories with a purchase invoice marked as such, then they honour it without quibble. If they operate with this sensible approach, good for them. Pity some other dealers here in the UK don't appear to be so helpful...??
Doubtless this situation irks the UK dealers no end, but isn't this where EU free trade across partner countries and consumer rights under EU directives make this possible..?? Needless to say, I would be reluctant if buying some complex electronic and/or mechanical kit in this way, but a top box....??
Also, as I have stuck to one BMW dealer for my bike purchases, servicing, warranty work, queries, etc, then there is, as I'd expect to find in a professional customer service relationship, a degree of mutual respect and trust between customer and service department. That is what I currently experience with Lovetts, which I would expect of a premier marque, nagging quality niggles aside.