OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Post by Steve F »

Well, a nice shiny new 49 litre top box arrived yesterday c/o Moto24 and their courier. Well packed with no damage to either the box or the cardboard box it came in. The top box itself was well wrapped in a thick packing foam sleeve and was in tip top condition (as you'd expect!). Yes, they aren't cheap bits of kit, but I do like the improved security when the case is mounted on the bike, plus the two gas struts (which have replaced the old fibre straps) that keep the lid held open. Nice touch. All I need to do know is to understand if a hi-level (OEM?) light is easy to fit! :)
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Oh yes. I meant to add that the top box lock key coding job was fairly straightforward, especially when following the YouTube vids on the subject - thanks to whoever it was that posted the link. Very useful!  :)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Steve F wrote: Oh yes. I meant to add that the top box lock key coding job was fairly straightforward, especially when following the YouTube vids on the subject - thanks to whoever it was that posted the link. Very useful!  :)
I was worried about keying the lock set, but it took about 20 minutes, and only that long because I misjudged one and had to backup a couple of tumblers.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mercator1 wrote: I was worried about keying the lock set, but it took about 20 minutes, and only that long because I misjudged one and had to backup a couple of tumblers.

Yes, likewise, a bit apprehensive at first, but once you get the fiddly springs in, the rest is a doddle. Yup, about a 20-30 min task (once you've watched the vids!!) ;) [size=78%].[/size]
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

After much discussion with my local dealer (which also involved pope's participation - thanks for chatting with them Brian!), it's a resounding NO re retrospectively fitting the hi-level OEM brake light to a standard 630 (last 3 digits of part no.) 49 litre top box. Further discussion with Riders of Cardiff (with a big thanks to Craig in Service there re his helpful tech input) explained why this can't be done. Incredibly, it appears that BMW do not provide the top box internal wiring loom (for said brake light, interior light and central locking function) as a spare part !!?? ??? . So, if you have the fully loaded box (631 part no.), then no problem as the brake light can be fitted easily and quickly to that configured box! I've since asked the dealer what happens when they need to change said wiring loom in the top box.....no answer thus far! My guess is that they would have to demand a new top box bottom section (cost = an eyewatering £600+) !! :o

mercator1,
How did you get on with your proposed 95 LED light idea...??
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Steve F wrote: After much discussion with my local dealer (which also involved pope's participation - thanks for chatting with them Brian!),it's a resounding NO re retrospectively fitting the hi-level OEM brake light to a standard 630 (last 3 digits of part no.) 49 litre top box. Further discussion with Riders of Cardiff (with a big thanks to Craig in Service there re his helpful tech input) explained why this can't be done. Incredibly, it appears that BMW do not provide the top box internal wiring loom (for said brake light, interior light and central locking function) as a spare part !!?? ??? . So, if you have the fully loaded box (631 part no.),then no problem as the brake light can be fitted easily and quickly to that configured box! I've since asked the dealer what happens when they need to change said wiring loom in the top box.....no answer thus far! My guess is that they would have to demand a new top box bottom section (cost = an eyewatering £600+) !! :o

mercator1,
My local guy talked with a BMW rep and they think they found the part for the wiring extension.  However, the expense $180, plus the nearly $200 for the light is ridiculous.  I'm going with the Truflex 95 LED strip, and I've already got my box painted and wired.  I'm just waiting for the LED and fuse block to arrive.

If you go with the Truflex LED strip, you can easily wire it for a 30% intensity tail light and 100% brake light, something the OEM doesn't do, I don't think.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Steve F wrote: mercator1,

Finally got around to installing the LED tail light on the top box.  Pretty simple, and I've got everything done, except for the wiring to the fuseblock.  I was planning on having the dealer install the fuseblock, horn and driving light for me, since I don't like to mess with the tupperware too much.

I tested using a car battery, and they are pretty freaking bright.  I'll post another pic once they are powered up.
Attachments
truflex.jpg
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mercator1 wrote:
Finally got around to installing the LED tail light on the top box.  Pretty simple, and I've got everything done, except for the wiring to the fuseblock.  I was planning on having the dealer install the fuseblock, horn and driving light for me, since I don't like to mess with the tupperware too much.

I tested using a car battery, and they are pretty freaking bright.  I'll post another pic once they are powered up.
Very neat mercator1. Look forward to seeing the LED illuminations! :)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Steve F wrote: Very neat mercator1. Look forward to seeing the LED illuminations! :)

Probably be a week or so.  Need to get all my Christmas shopping done before I know if I have the free cash to do it right now.  If not, I might get up the courage to do it myself.  I think I only need to take a couple of pieces of tupperware off to get to everything.
The Standard

Post by The Standard »

Just a slightly different question regarding the BMW Top Box
Firstly I set a side the fact that the new top box has electrics.
I currently own a 2005-6 RT with the smaller 29 litre top box, the box does me most of the time as it just holds my day to day work stuff.
I've been looking at the larger box, however I don't want to spend £350-£400 on the older model when I may change the bike to a newer model (2015) early in 2016
I was thinking of buying the newer top box now and then transferring it to the new bike later (just a simple lock recode)
Will the newer box fit the older bike, I know the older box fits the newer bike but I[size=78%]'ve been informed the newer box does not fit the older one???[/size]
[size=78%]if this is the case, has anyone made the newer box fit the older bike??[/size]
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The Standard wrote: Just a slightly different question regarding the BMW Top Box
Firstly I set a side the fact that the new top box has electrics.
I currently own a 2005-6 RT with the smaller 29 litre top box, the box does me most of the time as it just holds my day to day work stuff.
I've been looking at the larger box, however I don't want to spend £350-£400 on the older model when I may change the bike to a newer model (2015) early in 2016
I was thinking of buying the newer top box now and then transferring it to the new bike later (just a simple lock recode)
Will the newer box fit the older bike, I know the older box fits the newer bike but I[size=78%]'ve been informed the newer box does not fit the older one???[/size]
[size=78%]if this is the case, has anyone made the newer box fit the older bike??[/size]

Well, I know the OLD box fit's the new bike, so I assume the NEW box will fit the old bikes.  Stands to reason.
The Standard

Post by The Standard »

Sorry but since I placed the post, a friend has called around with his K1600 which has the same newer top box with lights etc.  I can now conform that the lungs on the bottom of the newer box expand 5mm more than the older one so the newer box will not fit the older bike."Thanks BMW for restricting my purchasing choice"
Looks like the bike will have to be changed sooner or I stick with my trusted 2005 model and buy the cheaper box

First time on the forum, "Fantastic" keep it up to all involved and to all who post ^-^ ^-^
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you could clarify please.
The box goes on the frame but you can't lock it down because the lugs foul on the frame?  Or the lugs won't go into the frame at all?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One consideration might be that the new K1600 / R1200RT LC Topcase cannot be removed from the Bike without first removing it's contents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg5Lhk023_c
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

DaygloDavid wrote: One consideration might be that the new K1600 / R1200RT LC Topcase cannot be removed from the Bike without first removing it's contents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg5Lhk023_c

Luckily, Santa brought me case liners for all my bags, so it'll be easy to pull everything out of the top case at once.