OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
The Standard

Re: OEM Top Box for 2015 RT

Post by The Standard »

Dear All

Please ignore my last post
I originally said the box went on the frame but the lungs would not lock off as they looked about 5mm bigger than the old one :(
Well I borrowed my friends K1600 top box and removed the rack from my bike (it was either play with the bike or go shopping with the wife: BIKE WON)
Having the whole box and frame free and upside down on the bench I've had time to mess
I removed the 4 sticky rubber blocks of the top box (One by each lug) and it fits perfect, the lungs are only self sticky so they have gone back perfectly
I'm now going to buy one
Once I have one I'll tell you how I get over operating the brake light without the Cam-Bus.  If Police bikes have additional lighting, so can I

Wish you all a brilliant biking New Year and Stay Safe
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

Yes the top box is overpriced, ugly and not color matched. I opted to not go that route. Also a couple of people at the dealerships told me it can cause some handling issues due to its enormous size. I will be looking to the aftermarket for my top case. BMW does sell a smaller version which is large enough to hold one helmet and is more aero than the large breadbox that is overpriced.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Tyre choice can have a dramatic effect on handling but I have not heard of the top box having an effect.  I have however come across such problems when owners have stuck on Givi boxes and the like. 
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Agree with rtman there. Beside the generic balance issue due to a more top heavy bike I have noticed no ill effect due to the 49 er top case.
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

Just repeating what someone with over 200,000 miles riding these things told me. The box is so large that it interferes with the air stream flowing over and around the bike, Just saying ! Anyway the thing is just ugly and not proportioned to the bike very well. It looks more aftermarket than some of the aftermarket stuff. Besides if you are going to offer a trunk as an option why not offer it in colors to match current inventory, To much money for something that has several shortfalls.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I don't like the older model 49L box with the new body style, but the new 49L look fine IMO.  As far as proportions, it's a trade-off  in how much storage you want.  If I'm going to use the trunk, I want it to hold all my stuff.
Attachments
IMAG0150.jpg
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

Your trunk setup looks good especially, the color match. I have ridden a full dress tourer for the last 30 years so I am aware of the convenience of a large trunk. I decided to go with a sport tourer because I felt as though I didn't need a large trunk anymore. I am going to see how things go for now(only have 30 miles on new ride) and may have to go a different route in the future. I will probably go with a soft tail bag on my first journey to see how that works out. After that will see what I decide . I do not want a trunk on the bike full time. I have a friend with a K1600GTL who leaves his trunk at home most of the time. Anyway your ride looks nice. How do you like the floorboards ? Happy New Year to you!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Lubedude wrote: Yes the top box is overpriced, ugly and not color matched. I opted to not go that route. Also a couple of people at the dealerships told me it can cause some handling issues due to its enormous size. I will be looking to the aftermarket for my top case. BMW does sell a smaller version which is large enough to hold one helmet and is more aero than the large breadbox that is overpriced.

Again, my vanity comes to the fore...

I think the RT looks at its best with just its panniers on.  I think it looks ghastly with the big top box - if I'd wanted a Goldwing, I'd have bought one ;-)

I do have (and use) the smaller top box but I also think the bike looks crap with it on - panniers fitted or not.

If I can be reasonably sure not to be filtering (lane-splitting) too much, I try to just use the panniers and concentrate on looking good.

;) ;)
The Standard

Post by The Standard »

Hi All

Who would have thought a Top Box would draw so much conversation
Love the picture of your Marino Blue RT
I've bought the new Top Box for my 2005 RT, the wife needs loads of storage for the girly things [size=78%]

As per my earlier post, I'm also looking at wiring the Top Box lights, just can't find where to get the other half of the BMW plug from.  Looks like it's a trip to my dealer, some careful measurements and work on the Apple before the 3D printer gets to work.

As for BMW only doing the box in Aluminium, at least you can move the expensive box from one purchase to another without having to pay for a respray (Colour match does look good)

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Lubedude wrote: Your trunk setup looks good especially, the color match. I have ridden a full dress tourer for the last 30 years so I am aware of the convenience of a large trunk. I decided to go with a sport tourer because I felt as though I didn't need a large trunk anymore. I am going to see how things go for now(only have 30 miles on new ride) and may have to go a different route in the future. I will probably go with a soft tail bag on my first journey to see how that works out. After that will see what I decide . I do not want a trunk on the bike full time. I have a friend with a K1600GTL who leaves his trunk at home most of the time. Anyway your ride looks nice. How do you like the floorboards ? Happy New Year to you!

I love the boards.  My '05 had them when I got it, so I put them on the RTW.  My bad knees need some real estate to allow me to shift foot position.  They ache if I ride in the same position for a long time.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The Standard wrote: Hi All

Who would have thought a Top Box would draw so much conversation
Love the picture of your Marino Blue RT
I've bought the new Top Box for my 2005 RT, the wife needs loads of storage for the girly things [size=78%]

As per my earlier post, I'm also looking at wiring the Top Box lights, just can't find where to get the other half of the BMW plug from.  Looks like it's a trip to my dealer, some careful measurements and work on the Apple before the 3D printer gets to work.

As for BMW only doing the box in Aluminium, at least you can move the expensive box from one purchase to another without having to pay for a respray (Colour match does look good)

I used the Truflex LED tube, but haven't gotten the fuseblock wired up yet.  Here is a pic with it mounted.  I'm bought some quick connectors, so I can unplug it and remove when not needed.
Attachments
truflex.jpg
The Standard

Post by The Standard »

Looks Good

What age is the bike
Can you send a picture of the plugging arrangement?

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The Standard wrote: Looks Good

What age is the bike
Can you send a picture of the plugging arrangement?

Right now my plugging arrangement is non-existent.  I had to shell painted, so took that opportunity to run some 2-conductor 18 ga wire through the box and wire to Truflex 95 LED tube.  I bought a small batch of these pre-wired quick connectors that I still have to wire in and connect to tail light and brake light.
Attachments
IMAG0167.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You might discover that if you connect to the rear light cluster you will end up with a fault reading on your clocks.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

richardbd wrote:
Again, my vanity comes to the fore...

I think the RT looks at its best with just its panniers on.  I think it looks ghastly with the big top box - if I'd wanted a Goldwing, I'd have bought one ;-)

I do have (and use) the smaller top box but I also think the bike looks crap with it on - panniers fitted or not.

If I can be reasonably sure not to be filtering (lane-splitting) too much, I try to just use the panniers and concentrate on looking good.

;) ;)

Oooh Richard ! How shallow...!! ;) ;)