Cell phone mount?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
SheepDog

Cell phone mount?

Post by SheepDog »

Has anyone mounted a cell phone mount to the stock GPS cover?  something similar to this: ImageCell phone mount?mounted to the plastic GPS cover. If anyone has any other center mounting ideas, please share.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
wayneosdias

Re: Cell phone mount?

Post by wayneosdias »

You mean like this?
Attachments
gps ph.jpg
gps ph1.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

wayneosdias wrote: You mean like this?

Why on earth????

notnotnot
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

richardbd wrote:
Why on earth? ???

notnotnot
because it works awesome
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Shame about your loss of warnings lights  The cover is by no means as tight a fit as a GPS so I would keep a close eye in it when moving.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

richardbd wrote:
Why on earth? ???

notnotnot

Maybe his/her bike is not set up for Nav V, maybe he/her doesn't like/want NavV or maybe he/she cant afford the ridiculous price, a bit like me and the price on a top box. I will probably end up compromising in a similar way, yet have the facility.

I can feel your response coming now Richard, why spend that type of money on a bike and not equip it with the tailor made parts?

I can tell you that's what Herr BMW is banking on. Some of us just keep on playing his game.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well said Spencer. I get a similar comment about home maintenance.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, if you can lash out several grand on a new/nearly new RT, and then cut corners on GPS prep, top box etc, then that doesn't quite add up! Does it....??? :wonder:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: No, if you can lash out several grand on a new/nearly new RT, and then cut corners on GPS prep, top box etc, then that doesn't quite add up! Does it....??? :wonder:
+1
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I guess if money is no object then we all I'm sure would go for the top model with all the bits. However more often than not we have a budget. If that budget is wiped out by paying for the bike then extras will have to be compromised. After all we already do this when buying the bike, basic model, SE or top of the range LC. I guess we all make our choices on what we can afford.
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

...LTMSQ
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

richardbd wrote:
Why on earth? ???
  Self-explanatory I would think.  That is what the rider needs, or maybe just wants, on THEIR bike.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

sofnolime wrote:   Self-explanatory I would think.  That is what the rider needs, or maybe just wants, on THEIR bike.

+1
Crater

Post by Crater »

I've enjoyed dressing my bike up a bit. It becomes mine. The amazing thing about this RT for me is how little I've had to alter to make it work and be comfortable (previous bikes have had new seats/screen/footpegs/bars/luggage by now). The few changes I've made can be reversed easily it I ever part-exchange. Originality is valuable on the second hand market.
Years ago I heard a man on the radio from BMW cars say that they regarded the UK as a "profit haven". Their cars here were perceived as a premium product and they could get away with charging a premium price. I'm sure it's the same with the bikes. The bikes are great, but look at some of the other stuff like reliability, price of accessories, after sales service or second hand values and it doesn't always look so rosy.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I use this to put the RAM cup holder on my '15 model.  Works great.  2 minute install.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U