Agricultural clunk

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Agricultural clunk

Post by guest2360 »

Dont think you can compare a gearbox on a bike with one in a car.  I'm sure there are tech members who can explain the vital differences.
OrangeOkie

Post by OrangeOkie »

Perhaps it is the nature of the twin opposed engine.  Moto Guzzis do the same thing going into first.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Dont think you can compare a gearbox on a bike with one in a car.  I'm sure there are tech members who can explain the vital differences.

one has two wheels, one has four.

simples...

:alas: :alas:
Nkannel1

Post by Nkannel1 »

My 09 RT has the same issue. However I realized that if I roll back just a tad as I shift into first it's smooth as butter. Works eveytime without fail. I also preload the shifter before every upshift as well. Has been this way since new and now has 98K. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That is an impressive mileage.
Have you had any serious issues with anything?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

OrangeOkie wrote: Perhaps it is the nature of the twin opposed engine.  Moto Guzzis do the same thing going into first.
Nah, my K13GT Beemer was equally clunky in the low gears, and that was an in-line 4 cyl engine.  :-X
Spur .v. helical gears comes to mind re the difference between car (synchromesh helical gears which are smoother and quieter in operation) and bike (spur gears which are tougher but noisier comparably in operation) gearboxes.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Mine is a whole heap better in this regard than the K1600 GTL I had previously and that was after they had fixed the shifting 'clack' on the K16's that ended in a court case against BMW in New Zealand and the owner won.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steveeung wrote: Mine is a whole heap better in this regard than the K1600 GTL I had previously and that was after they had fixed the shifting 'clack' on the K16's that ended in a court case against BMW in New Zealand and the owner won.

There is no comparison between the two.  It was my main reason for swapping from a GTL. And of course the loss of 100 kg to lug about.
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

Hmm, sorta reminds me of the Haiku poem I read when researching this problem on my first (1999) RT: "Engage gear. Beneath the sound of breaking rocks. [size=78%]All is well."[/size]
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

BTW, they've obviously been working on the problem because the 'clunk' is far deeper, crisper and intimidating (for anyone beside you at the lights than the previous models. I wouldn't call it 'agricultural' AO much as 'tuetonic' in the Attila-the-Hun sense!
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

As Steve F said, same here with my K1300s was horrible clunk into 1st and finding neutral was a chore, my new 2016 RT is a dream come true in finding neutral and going into 1st is smooth with no clunk most of the time, not all the time..
Blue 2016 R1200RT Fully Loaded
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

My Honda ST1100 also clonked into first sometimes so it's not an unknown issue but if cars can do it properly, why not bikes?

Syncro ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep my car one is silent but then again it's nearly as big as the complete engine in the bike.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Our Gee wrote:  

My Honda ST1100 also clonked into first sometimes so it's not an unknown issue but if cars can do it properly, why not bikes?

Syncro ?
As quoted by me earlier in the thread......"Spur .v. helical gears comes to mind re the difference between car (synchromesh helical gears which are smoother and quieter in operation) and bike (spur gears which are tougher but noisier comparably in operation) gearboxes".
OrangeOkie

Post by OrangeOkie »

Just read where the new R1200RT has the 1st gear "clunk" fixed. Can anyone confirm?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10