Right stowage compartment - 2014RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Right stowage compartment - 2014RT

Post by jjwill »

Does anyone know if there is a drain hole in either of the pockets?  Everytime there is heavy rain the right pocket fills with water and the left to a small degree.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated as to how to stop this.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Right stowage compartment - 2014RT

Post by Steve F »

I can't advise on drain holes on the pockets, but what always surprises me is how much water the mirror cowlings collect, especially after washing the bike. Not a major issue, just a bit surprised at the design.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Don't know about any drain holes but I've never had any water ingress to either front pocket.
Could be that it's not closing properly?

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Whenever I ride and get caught out in the rain or after washing the bike I give it a blast with my Airforce Master Blaster it an hot air blow for those not familiar with it, but does a great job of drying the bike.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

jjwill wrote: Does anyone know if there is a drain hole in either of the pockets?  Everytime there is heavy rain the right pocket fills with water and the left to a small degree.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated as to how to stop this.

Mine don't leak.  Not sure it's a helpful suggestion but I'd be more inclined to try and solve the leak, rather than start drilling holes...
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

My 2012 RT compartment DOES definitely have a pre-drilled rain hole. I think it would be crackers to design them without as there is always the risk some clutz doesnt close the lid properly and rain gets in, so be surprised if the 2014 didnt have it.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Question, can the right pocket be retrofitted to the 2015 ?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Benchmark wrote: Question, can the right pocket be retrofitted to the 2015 ?
Yes, but unless you've won the lottery I wouldn't both the expense is extraordinary.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Drain hole would be easy to do, make sure of what's below it before drilling away
My 15 does not have a drain hole, I would suspect you have a issue with the raised rubber seal that surrounds the inner lip of case, if bike is still under warranty a trip to dealer may be in order. My first step would be to remove seal and give it a good inspection also take a close look at lid and insure it closing all the way with no obstructions. And no my 15 doesn't leak
Jim