Touring advice wanted

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
smooth

Touring advice wanted

Post by smooth »

Myself and 4 or 5 friends are trying to plan a 5-7 day motorcycle tour of France for July 2016. Problem is, none of us has ever done anything like this before and I have no idea where to start the planning.
I'd appreciate any advice, direction, recommendations, cautions, anything really. We'll need everything, from where to rent bikes and gear, to route suggestions, to places to stay. Do we need to use a tour company? We are on a bit of a budget, so costs are a important.
I realize this is really vague, especially since we don't even have a region in mind, so suggestions on that are welcome as well.
Thanks in advance.
guest2360

Re: Touring advice wanted

Post by guest2360 »

Think it would be quite a job organizing everything from scratch for a 5 day tour.  You would probably be better off with an organised tour.  Have a look at www.pidcock.com.  They have a tour in late May of 5 days.  I understand they already have some interest from your side of the pond
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

smooth wrote: Myself and 4 or 5 friends are trying to plan a 5-7 day motorcycle tour of France for July 2016. Problem is, none of us has ever done anything like this before and I have no idea where to start the planning.
I'd appreciate any advice, direction, recommendations, cautions, anything really. We'll need everything, from where to rent bikes and gear, to route suggestions, to places to stay. Do we need to use a tour company? We are on a bit of a budget, so costs are a important.
I realize this is really vague, especially since we don't even have a region in mind, so suggestions on that are welcome as well.
Thanks in advance.

It would really all depend on what 'floats your boat' Smooth? France like the UK has a rich and varied history so you would not be short of interesting things to do, 5-7 days is a seriously short period though. If you just want a leisurely tour taking in the sun and country I would suggest (assuming you are coming in via Paris) you aim for the North of France and follow the coastline down to the South via La Rochelle, Royan, etc down to the border of Spain and ride back through the country taking in Route de Napolean or which ever way suits heading back to Paris.

However, if you are interested in the Wartime or historical area of France well you won't get very far from the North in 5 days. There are some great B&Bs in the Normandy region some of which are 'Biker Friendly' and organise tours which you will not be disappointed with. I have not done any of these personally, but know of many who have, some of which I am sure will contribute to this thread. If there are some amongst you who would like to see the Beaches used for the invasion and evacuation of France during the WW11 and the Battlefields of the WW1 then that will take you more North East towards Belgium which is really France, but with a more friendly disposition lol.

Not sure about hiring bikes but there are lots of companies who do these days some may even ship them from the UK over for you.

Well this is just the start there are many experienced tourers on this site so you will eventually be spoil the for choice.

Hope it's a success

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doing a bit of research has come up with Bike Normandy, http://www.bikenormandy.com/.

Although I haven't used this Tour Company, I do know the couple who are the Tour Backmarkers.

They don't hire motorcycles, but can put you in touch with companies in France that do.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

David, I was racking my brain trying to remember Bike Normandy I have only ever heard good things about them.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

One thing to note Smooth is the large geographical size of France from a touring perspective for just a few days. Admittedly, stateside, distances are even greater east to west, and north to south, but just be mindful of how much of France you'll be realistically able to comfortably tour in such a short time.
Regardless, enjoy the trip, as France is a lovely country with a rich culture, albeit revolutionary once upon a time....!! ;)
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

1/2 hour on google and you can easily make your own plans.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Spencert231 wrote:David, I was racking my brain trying to remember Bike Normandy I have only ever heard good things about them.
John (gatesy) is a Forum member on here, he & his wife are the Backmarkers.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Well...you can't start to think hire until you know where from and that depends on where you want to ride. France is a big place so best to decide region and look to hire a bike IN that region. I don't see any sense in flying into the UK to hire and start your tour as this just takes time out of what is already a fairly short window.
Personally I would go for the Alps to the Med, (Geneva would be a good place to fly into and you could ride to the coast via the Alps and back with plenty of French hospitality at night time),but only you will know what sort of riding you want. You can find single source companies for hire and tour (some just give you a route in the GPS).
http://www.moto-plaisir.com/6-days-and- ... oléon.html
Above maybe a start point if you all want a BMW (or a Harley?) and want to do this region. At least gives you some price benchmarks. To which you can add flights etc., and see if it is financially do -able.
You also mention July and just be careful that you don't pick a time when most of France will also be on holiday, and I suspect that could be latter part of July.
Good luck.
Last edited by BMjoe64 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smooth

Post by smooth »

Spencert231 wrote:North East towards Belgium which is really France, but with a more friendly disposition lol.
;D
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ugh....it's full of Flem...!! ;)  Yes, I know, very corny. Personally, I prefer France to Belgium, but if visiting Belgium, try and get time to visit Bruges which is a lovely city. :)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Steve F wrote: Ugh....it's full of Flem...!! ;)  Yes, I know, very corny. Personally, I prefer France to Belgium, but if visiting Belgium, try and get time to visit Bruges which is a lovely city. :)
I lived in Belgium for 2.5yrs in a place called Herrentals, Antwerp, not far from the Dutch border. The Belgians are very underrated by Europe yet probably has the most friendly people on the whole. That's probably down to them being Celts. I loved my time there and here I am now 8yrs in France and still having a great time. Oh and before I forget best chips in the world and let's not forget the home of beer, long live the monks.
smooth

Post by smooth »

Thanks for everyone's help. When we have a region locked down, I'll post for some more advice.