WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mercator1

WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield

Post by mercator1 »

Anyone tried one of these?  I just put a VStream on my '15 RTLC, but it doesn't work nearly as good as the VStream I had on the '05 model.  The way they cut it to for the antenna puts a lot more turbulence on my shoulders and arms than the old VStream did.  I'd be interested to know how this one performs.

http://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield.html
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield

Post by T6pilot »

Knock on wood, my 15 RT is the first BMW that I haven't changed the seat and windshield. They both appear to be working correctly
WERKS windshield does look like good solution if your having issues with stock one though
Jim
natief

Post by natief »

Which VStream did you fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

T6pilot wrote: Knock on wood, my 15 RT is the first BMW that I haven't changed the seat and windshield. They both appear to be working correctly
WERKS windshield does look like good solution if your having issues with stock one though

In the rain, the stock shield dumps the rain right into my face.  The center is the low spot, so that's where the water runs.  Cool, sleek looking design, but crap for protection.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

natief wrote: Which VStream did you fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I initially ordered the tall, but at 5'9", I was looking through it, even on lowest setting.  I like to be able to see over the shield when I want to, so I swapped it for the regular model.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

mercator1 wrote: I initially ordered the tall, but at 5'9", I was looking through it, even on lowest setting. I like to be able to see over the shield when I want to, so I swapped it for the regular model.
You are correct about the rain
Got soaked on interstate 40 last week. 400 miles heavy rain
Didn't think was a windshield issue
Going to order the 24" model
Jim
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

T6pilot wrote: You are correct about the rain
Got soaked on interstate 40 last week. 400 miles heavy rain
Didn't think was a windshield issue
Going to order the 24" model

Yeah, if you look at the stock screen, the path of least resistance (which water always takes) is right in your face.

T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

E-mailed WERKS Sunday morning, thinking they would get back to be first of week, received a reply this afternoon. Ordering a 24in shield tomorrow
Jim
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Terry from werks emailed me this morning my new 24 in windshield should be here by Friday, that's very fast service!!
Jim
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

New windshield on bike, only a 150 miles on it, does what it supposed to do, that is reduce wind buffet. Haven't tested it out in the rain yet
Jim
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

T6pilot wrote: New windshield on bike, only a 150 miles on it, does what it supposed to do, that is reduce wind buffet. Haven't tested it out in the rain yet
I see you're in SoCal, so I don't guess you can give us a cold weather report, huh?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Well I have come fro a Triumph Tiger 800XC where the windshield was an aftermarket I had on my Tiger 800 (roadie) which was a Givi Airflow absolute magic compared to the OEM. One of the things with my 2014 bike is I find very little fault  and the need to replace OEM parts  The windshield is brilliant if I have an issue which is minor is with the seat?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Spencert231 wrote: Well I have come fro a Triumph Tiger 800XC where the windshield was an aftermarket I had on my Tiger 800 (roadie) which was a Givi Airflow absolute magic compared to the OEM. One of the things with my 2014 bike is I find very little fault  and the need to replace OEM parts  The windshield is brilliant if I have an issue which is minor is with the seat?
Have you ridden the '14 RT in the rain?  It dumps the rain right in your face as you ride, and there's much more wind on your arms and shoulders than on previous models (e.g. the '05 I traded in).  But, you are right, the seat dumps our weight right into the tank, especially when braking.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They must build them differently for the US market.  Rain in my face depends on where you set the screen to, in my case where there us just enough downdraft to clear my visor.  As for wind on your arms and shoulders, definitely not enough to keep you cool on a warm day. Having owned every model of RT since 1996 with a couple of 1600s thrown in, the LC has by far the best weather protection and the least buffering.  IMO.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

IMHO I am inclined to agree with RTman and yes I have ridden in the rain.Although I live in France my bike was delivered to me in Suffolk, England where I was on contract by Williams Motorcycles Manchester in September 2014. so in answer to your question, yes I have ridden it in not just rain, but torrential rain. I then rode it home to France in wind, hail, sleet and bucketing down rain, and I have no issue whatsoever with the windshield. By the way I am 64yrs old 6'1" weighing in at 17st 5lbs so no spring chicken or lightweight. The windscreen offers great protection in rain if it was wider it would not offer sufficient enough air flow on these hot days. So for the moment I am happy, but I have been known to change my mind :))