New to me 2008 R1200RT - horn and hi-beam upgrades

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lexy

New to me 2008 R1200RT - horn and hi-beam upgrades

Post by lexy »

Hi everyone,

I've always got a lot out of these sorts of forum so I thought I'd introduce myself and let you know about 2 mods I've already done.

I had a 2006 RT 3 years ago but I never really liked the servo brakes. I was either upset with the wooden feel or was waiting for them to break! I recently found myself an ex-police RT with the usual enormous history file and it's going great.

First thing I did was upgrade the 'peep' horn to a twin-tone set-up using horns from a BMW 5 series which come with the same connector. Being a police bike it didn't have the unattached second horn lead that the civvy bikes come with but I just spliced a spare CANBUS connector (one thing it doesn't lack is lots of spare connectors) into the horn cable. Worked a treat and no relay required.

I then swapped out the standard H7 hi-beam for a HID bulb which makes a world of difference and doesn't blind oncoming traffic as it's only on hi-beam.

The bike's fantastic - if I can work out how I'll upload some pictures.

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1882.jpg
Last edited by lexy on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Re: New to me 2008 R1200RT - horn and hi-beam upgrades

Post by step2534 »

Yes, I agree, I reckon the horn is a excellent upgrade I fitted a master blaster from Nippy Norman, Best £30 Ive spent.

Certainly lets everyone know you are there, cant understand why BM fit the little pip pip horns when the proper ones are so cheap and its got to be a big safety issue.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: New to me 2008 R1200RT - horn and hi-beam upgrades

Post by Steve F »

Yes, anything's better than the poxy pip squeak horn that plagues all (?) bike OEM ones. I realise everything's built to a budget, but why do they all persist in fitting crap horns on new bikes??