New 1200RT and member

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Hogzilla

New 1200RT and member

Post by Hogzilla »

Well, after a search I finally bought a 2015  RT.  All I can say is WOW!!  I am new to this board but not new to BMW or motorcycling.  I have owned a 2007 R1200GS and loved the power and fun but decided to sell it and get a lighter bike and play more off road.  So I bought a 2013 F800GS which a blast to ride.  I decided to purchase a RT after reading some reviews so I found one at a dealership 5 1/2 hours away and bought it.  I have only ridden one RT and that was an 1150.  It was not very exciting so I just never pursued it.  Well, I went to pick the bike up and said before I put it on the trailer I wanted to take it for a spin.  Well this bike is nothing like the RT I had ridden in the past.  In dynamic mode this thing is a rocket.  So on the trailer it went and I spent the day getting used to all the gadgets.  I was a bit intimidated with all the electronic do dads but have tried them all and they all work as stated.  The different modes are definitely noticeable.  I like the pro shift mode just for something different and it is really smooth.  The hill start is crazy how it works and living in Arkansas, this is a handy feature.  Anyway, I always join forums of toys that I have.  I learn so much from members and appreciate the fact that there are others out there that can help me in my time of frustration.  Thank you for allowing me to be apart of the forum and I look forward to learning about this great bike.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: New 1200RT and member

Post by Steve F »

Hello Hogzilla and welcome to the forum. Another happy bunny with his blinged toy - that's good to hear ! :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome to you.  I agree with you. This latest incarnation of the RT is by far the best so far. Many on here will tell you its not the quality finish of the earlier ones but don't believe them, its just built differently.
Hogzilla

Post by Hogzilla »

Thank you for the welcome.  I was a little afraid of purchasing the BMW.  The high tech features, some of the reviews by fellow riders and the fact that the nearest dealer is 4 hours away, well you know what I am thinking.  Then I thought of how many times my previous BMW bikes had been in the shop for repair and realized it was one time out of three previous BMWs.  So I pulled the trigger and bought it.  Hopefully I will have the same luck with this new bike.  If not I will just sell it and move on to something else.  I look forward to being on the forum and talking about this great little bike
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

RTman10 wrote: Welcome to you.  I agree with you. This latest incarnation of the RT is by far the best so far. Many on here will tell you its not the quality finish of the earlier ones but don't believe them, its just built differently.
The plastic parts on the new RT require a lot more care in removing and refitting, not as robust as previous models
Overall a great bike
Jim
OrangeOkie

Post by OrangeOkie »

Welcome to the "club."  I too bought a new RT this year and could not be more pleased.  I am so glad I did not get the Harley.  My wife really likes the security of the rear trunk.  Even though I try to ride like a "bus driver" when she is on board (she is a new rider) she told me yesterday that she really likes to be able to lean against the trunk and if it was not there, she thinks she would fall off.  I started her out in the "Rain" mode to make sure I was as smooth as possible with her on the back.  I have recently graduated her to the "Normal" mode.  I can't wait to get her used to the "Dynamic" mode!  :alas:
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

The new LC RT is a work of genius.  It must be - it tempted me to sell my Multistrada AND I'm under 55!

Welcome Hogzilla...
helyun

Post by helyun »

i read the ride report form cycle world...Was so impressed I sold 2 Ducatis and bought a 2015 RT...I love it and hard to imagine that a "ride" can get any sweeter than this....An awesome display of technology and it scoots too!   
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

helyun wrote: i read the ride report form cycle world...Was so impressed I sold 2 Ducatis and bought a 2015 RT...I love it and hard to imagine that a "ride" can get any sweeter than this....An awesome display of technology and it scoots too! 

hope you didn't buy a slow colour...