Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
octatonic

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by octatonic »

Forget it.
Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

octatonic wrote: I made a modification to the SatNav mount, but installing a cam lock into the top GPS mounting cowl.
I don't know how to embed video on this forum but here is a link to a video showing the finished product.
There is no link  ;)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

That looks like an excellent modification. I'm very tempted to do the same to my new bike - although I am a little concerned about whether there would be any 'kick off' about warranty.

You mentioned being willing to post up some dimensions. I would certainly be very interested to understand more about how you did this, including what happens 'out of sight' inside the housing and how you made sure everything was in the right place.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You have to remember that on the LC the unit is all there on show and is obviously clipped on.  On the 1600 where it's mounted in the same place only the screen is visible and looks to be part of the dash.  Lock,or no lock leaving it on the bike unattended is in my eyes a no no.  Lock it on and you will have a bit more to replace than just the Nav when it's ripped off.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks. It doesn't look too complicated. Once I have my bike I will take the cover off and check it out for myself.

I'm also looking at this from a convenience perspective. Currently I have a GS with a lockable mount for the Nav V. Having it lockable gives me the confidence that anyone who wants to steal it is going to have to draw attention to themselves while doing so. If the bike is left in a location where there is no-one to pay attention then the Nav comes off.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Seems like a lot of messing around for a non issue. No bike I have had ever had a locking sat nav mount, so I just whip it off and either put it in my pocket or stick it in the pannier and lock it. But each to their own.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It could just be that BMW haven't put a lock on because they don't want all the hassle of complaints that it was just torn off . Short of encasing it in a steel box it will never be secure, even when your only 25m away paying for your fuel. I once sold a pannier to a bloke who had put his Nav in his pannier when he was making a delivery in central London.  When he got back to his bike he couldn't be bothered to put it back on and just jumped on and rode back to Nottingham non stop.  It's then he discovered its disappearance.  Moral to the story. Shove it in you pocket.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

octatonic wrote:
Maybe a non issue to you, but not to me and looking at various forums there are a lot of people asking for this feature on the bike.

I might get off my bike over 10 times a day- if I am dropping something off, picking something up, fueling up, stopping for a loo break etc.
Having to take the GPS off each and every time and put it in the glove box or pocket was irritating, so I found a way to fix it.
It is now fixed & I'm happy. :)

Good for you, no need to get your knickers in a twist. Like I said each to their own. I am also a semi professional rider and also do similar stop and starts to you, i also quite often use my bike for blood biking which involves multiply hospital stops, but taking the sat nav out of its cradle is like I said no massive issue. Guess I haven't been on a bike that has had a lock before, so not missing it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Should be fun in Germany.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaygloDavid wrote: Should be fun in Germany.

Yep I'll be the one walking around with my sat nav in my pocket  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your right,  both going.  Great fun ah.  Better take care with the rooming list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Its ok, I'll have my wife with me, so won't be sharing with anyone else  8)  That is also a statement, not a moan.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Herr Casbar,
Just to diffuse the earlier difference of opinions re Sat Nav locking😉, a question for you (no sarcasm or sniping at all!). You say you're a semi-professional rider. What does/did that involve then? Just an honest, open question from a curious Blood bike probationer....😀
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yep no issues, used to ride in the Military and upto a year or so ago when I went into semi retirement, DSA motorcycle instructor. Now do Blood biking and also during the day, baby milk delivery, which is another service we offer.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

All, sorry if you were wanting to do this mod. I really did not mean to offend, I was just making a statement that I thought it was a lot of work for a small issue. I apologise to Octatonic if he ever reads this and would ask him to provide the info again in this thread as others would benefit. Happy if he would like to email me and I'm very happy to apologise in person.