Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote: Yep no issues, used to ride in the Military and upto a year or so ago when I went into semi retirement, DSA motorcycle instructor. Now do Blood biking and also during the day, baby milk delivery, which is another service we offer.
Busy biker! Yes, I recognise the blood bike duties reference, as I'm just being inducted into the Freewheelers EVS group myself.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: All, sorry if you were wanting to do this mod. I really did not mean to offend, I was just making a statement that I thought it was a lot of work for a small issue. I apologise to Octatonic if he ever reads this and would ask him to provide the info again in this thread as others would benefit. Happy if he would like to email me and I'm very happy to apologise in person.

What precisely is it that you think you have to apologise for??
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: All, sorry if you were wanting to do this mod. I really did not mean to offend, I was just making a statement that I thought it was a lot of work for a small issue. I apologise to Octatonic if he ever reads this and would ask him to provide the info again in this thread as others would benefit. Happy if he would like to email me and I'm very happy to apologise in person.

I think it's important to realise that one person's "small issue" is another one's persistent hassle. I use my bike to commute on, all year round and often for 90 minutes in each direction (that can push upwards of 2 hours if the traffic gets really bad). The mileage I do means I regularly have to fill up every second day. After 90 minutes driving back from work (often over Saddleworth Moor in rain, sleet or even snow) I get to the petrol station a few miles from home tired and often a bit cold despite Rukka gear, additional waterproofs, and the best efforts of heated grips. Not having to worry about taking the Satnav off the bike - and especially not having to worry about using cold hands to find a dry pocket in my jacket to temporarily put it in - is a pretty big thing at that point when all I want to do is get home to my family. Multiply that by three times each week and it's the sort of thing that would really start to annoy me and detract from my enjoyment of the bike.

In the end it's all about perspective. Life would be pretty hum-drum if we all had the same perspective.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Paggers wrote: In the end it's all about perspective. Life would be pretty hum-drum if we all had the same perspective.

Exactly.  I think the lack of a lock on the RT satnav mount is ridiculous - just like the way that the GS/Nav5 integration is better than it is on the RT, despite the RT being the newer bike.

Not exactly worth falling out over though, is it?

:thinking: :thinking:
tony23

Post by tony23 »

I've re read this several times including the original inclusion from Octatonic. Fwiw I thought the idea was rather clever, simple cheap and effective ,given its intent. Casbar wasn't entirely convinced but I can't see anything that warrants an apology to Octatonic, he was merely expressing an opinion.
It's a shame Octatonic decided to remove the info as it was a useful idea, but it does strike me as a bit petulant.
I'm guessing he doesn't visit Ukgser ;)
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

I wasn't going to post this but people seem to want to discuss it so here we go.
I posted my solution today to help people out.

I wanted to do something nice because I was feeling pretty bad- I was told today that my mother, who has been through bowel cancer for the last two years has had it return so we are about to go through another couple of years of her being ill and I'm worried she might not make it.
I'm stuck in the UK until I can get a flight out to see her that I can afford so I'm feeling a bit powerless.
I spent a lot of time writing the posts and documenting the build process because I wanted to do something that made me feel good, to get my mind of things and to help some other people out. I didn't appreciate some of the responses and deleted the content as I felt that my help was unwelcome or somehow pointless.

Maybe I didn't handle it very well but I'm essentially at my wits end here.
Sure, deleting my content was maybe a bit petulant but try to look at the day I've had and see how you would feel.

I didn't ask for Casbar to apologise but he found me on UKGSER and we chatted about it and it is all cool.
I'm not holding a grudge.

I'd appreciate no-one quoting this content.
Thanks & take care.
Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Octatonic, sorry to hear about your mother, we went through something similar with father in law several years ago so I can understand where your coming from and I hope things improve for your family.

What I would like to say to you is this, up until now the non locking nav has never really bothered me. I've seen a few suggestions for locking but none that have made me consider a mod. Your idea on the other hand has made me re think and seriously consider implementing it. So your help has been most welcome to me and no doubt several others.
Perhaps you could think about re posting the mod when you've had time to address your priorities as good ideas are few and far between these days :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I posted last year a simple fix for the lack of a lock
Aviation sheet metal screw in the top of the release button next to dash panel. Button won't release and screw cannot be removed without windshield fully extended
Pics were posted to another inmate who posted them
Jim
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

tony23 wrote:I'm guessing he doesn't visit Ukgser.
Hopefully, this RT forum remains a friendly, fun place to exchange views.

Megamax

Post by Megamax »

Has anyone ever tried to mount the lockable NAV V mount used in the GS onto the RT LC. Perhaps an Aluminium block to bring the mount forward so the key can be used. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Megamax wrote: Has anyone ever tried to mount the lockable NAV V mount used in the GS onto the RT LC. Perhaps an Aluminium block to bring the mount forward so the key can be used. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't remember if it was on this forum or elsewhere but I did see a thread from a chap who had done exactly that. It was the ugliest thing you can possibly imagine! Speaking personally I would rather have someone steal my Nav than have to look at that every day.
:eggs:
Still, each to their own.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Busy biker! Yes, I recognise the blood bike duties reference, as I'm just being inducted into the Freewheelers EVS group myself.

Good to have you onboard, there is a specific blood bike Facebook page. One of the Teeside volunteers was killed on duty on Monday, kind of brings it home how vulnerable we all are when riding, ride safe everyone.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

For me the lack of a satnav mount is not an issue. On the 16 it is hidden so secure, but on the LC all the "locking mods" that have been described are good.
But the nav is still on show and I feel that someone may damage the surround in trying to get it.
Out of site - out of mind. In view worth trying to take.
At most fuel stops I leave the nav but cover it with my gloves whilst I pay, not secure but haven't had it taken yet.
Other than that I carry it with me.
:)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

+ 1 on both your points BeeJay.  On my 1600 it just stayed on and you could even fit the blanking cover on over the unit.  On the LC it's just far too obvious to be left.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Mind you, now that I have changed my 660 for a Navigator V I may be a bit more careful.
It all depends on where I fill up, some are obviously safe (?) but the more busier forecourts demand a bit more caution.
Just waiting for some better weather to try the V.
Don't like all this salt around.