Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Levisp

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by Levisp »

Basically its about time BMW came out with a K16 solution. Shame they don't listen to customers. IMHO the 2017 bike should have addressed all these minor issues. I say minor because they are but thats not to say they are not bloody annoying. For me the minor fixes which would cost next to nothing are:

1) SatNav locking like K16
2) Digital speedo settable between mph/kph via a menu option.
3) Disable screen auto retract via menu option.
4) Glove box on right hand side for all models.

I was recently asked if I was going to change my (very old and out of warranty) 2014 bike by my local BMW sales manager. Why I replied. Whats so different. A no cost no paint option white. Oh you want it painted that will be extra Sir. No thank you. ;D
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Four good points above Levisp. My fifth would be (also mentioned above somewhere) to enable the full data functions on the Nav 5 that appear on the GS. That really is a weird omission.
Going back on to GPS for a mo, not locking the satnav to the bike never seemed to much of an issue until I got a locking mount for the GT, now it seems a big miss. I've dropped the Nav 5 a couple of times already in filling stations. Wouldn't leave it locked on the bike for more than a few mins anyway, but it was soooo handy for those quick comfort / shop / fuel stops. Comfort stops come more frequently these days.... The theory is that it would be difficult for someone to rip half the plastics off before I get back to the bike, at which point they are welcome to take their chances :)
To steal yet another bit from the string above, each to their own.
Really sorry to hear of your issues Octatonic, best wishes with that mate.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Thanks folks- I haven't had the best couple of days, I appreciate the understanding.
I've done a bit more tweaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ngQD2zj0w

I'll rewrite my post documenting how to do it once I have a bit of time.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Excellent video, thanks. I now have a much better understanding of how it works. I realise this may not be possible (without removing the lock from the bike) but are you able to confirm what the barrel length (depth) is of the lock you have fitted? There seem to be quite a few 'miniature' cam locks available of varying depths.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Thanks.

This is the lock that I used: LINKY TO LOCK
And here is a link to a pdf for the dimensions of the lock: LINKY TO DIMENSIONS

I would have preferred to have used a smaller one but I wanted it to be strong and a lot of mini cam locks are flimsy things.

I used a brad point 10mm bit in a drill press and then used stepped dowel with some 100 grit abrasive stuck to it to widen the hole to 16mm.
From there I shaped the hole to be asymmetrical (to fit the lock body) using some Herdim rasps- Cut 5 works better than anything else.
I've had problems with plastic tearing in the past so didn't want to use a bit wider than 10mm in case it did.
Last edited by octatonic on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It would appear that the 2017 models now have the full GPS data functions according to another thread I read.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: It would appear that the 2017 models now have the full GPS data functions according to another thread I read.
Yep that's correct. :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Hopefully by the time we all get to Bad Herrenalb you would have worked through all the different bits of information now available and can enlighten us to how many gear changes it took to get there.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Attachments
same - same.JPG
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

... and here was me thinking I'd had an original idea.
Oh well. :)

Out of curiosity, your lock looks to be a bit smaller than mine- did you have any issues with it not being robust enough?
I found mine quite hard to locate because the 17.5mm diameter meant there was only one place where the lock would fit precisely and I had to locate it within 0.5mm of that point for it to work at all.
Last edited by octatonic on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote:
Good to have you onboard, there is a specific blood bike Facebook page. One of the Teeside volunteers was killed on duty on Monday, kind of brings it home how vulnerable we all are when riding, ride safe everyone.
Thank you Casbar and yes, one of my Freewheeler colleagues put me onto that FB page. Useful and interesting page. Yes, I saw the on-line report of that very tragic incident involving the 56 yr old Blood Bike rider. How very sad.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Missed the infighting, but just watched the video, and think it's a nice neat solution.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It will be one of the first mods I carry out on my bike when it arrives (less than two weeks now)  ;D
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

At the risk of leaving the gate open so that they all wander out and start fighting again, I saw this during a bored youtube session: https://youtu.be/R2ngQD2zj0w

All looks remarkably simple and cheap to do.  Any comments?  James, are you among us?
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

That looks like Mr Octatonic's, he put the same linky thing earlier in this post.