Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Paggers

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by Paggers »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: That looks like Mr Octatonic's, he put the same linky thing earlier in this post.
Yes it is - I watched it at the time.

Unfortunately he appears to be selling his RT and looks to have moved on from the forum.

It was definitely my 'number one' mod when I was looking at the bike, coming as I did from a GS with a locking mount. But in truth, now that I have the bike, I'm not finding it as much of a hassle as I thought I would to remove the Nav V, pop it in the compartment on the bike, and fit the blanking plate. At petrol stations I have started stuffing my gloves under the screen so they hang down and cover the Nav, saving me from removing it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

octatonic wrote: I've done a bit more tweaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ngQD2zj0w
Super useful, thanks for posting a solution!  Peter
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Paggers wrote: Yes it is - I watched it at the time.

Unfortunately he appears to be selling his RT and looks to have moved on from the forum.

It was definitely my 'number one' mod when I was looking at the bike, coming as I did from a GS with a locking mount. But in truth, now that I have the bike, I'm not finding it as much of a hassle as I thought I would to remove the Nav V, pop it in the compartment on the bike, and fit the blanking plate. At petrol stations I have started stuffing my gloves under the screen so they hang down and cover the Nav, saving me from removing it.

Yes, likewise. I'm inclined to agree that initially I was concerned as to how vulnerable the Nav V unit was to potential theft when installed. However, after a year of ownership, I just remove the Nav V when parked up and am away from the bike. In reality, I only install the sat nav when in unfamiliar areas in the UK or abroad, which is only a few weeks each year. So, no, I can put up with that very minor inconvenience of removing it as and when necessary! Mind you, I'm always intrigued by the various enterprising solutions that members post here.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Sprintgull wrote:
All looks remarkably simple and cheap to do.  Any comments?  James, are you among us?

Yeah, I'm here.

What would you like to know?
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

octatonic wrote:
Yeah, I'm here.

What would you like to know?

Just wondered if you had made any more tweaks, or are happy with the solution in the last vid.  It's a brilliant idea - thanks!
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Sprintgull wrote:
Just wondered if you had made any more tweaks, or are happy with the solution in the last vid.  It's a brilliant idea - thanks!

Thank you.
I was happy with the modification I did to the bike, after the followup video no further changes were made.
I proved to myself that the non-locking sat nav on the RT could be remedied without too much drama.

In theory it would be relatively easy to replicate, but it wouldn't be a cost effective solution for me to sell to people.
I did think about it (I build things for a living) but it isn't practical as people would either have to send me their bike components for me to modify or ride their bikes to me.

Anyone who can disassemble the GPS Cowl probably doesn't need my help- it is literally one hole and a small slice of the front mount- the hard part was working out where to make the hole and then shaping it to fit the cam lock.
If I was supplying the entire plastic cowl with a lock in it then just the parts from BMW are about £300- I can't see anyone paying circa £400 for this solution so I just put up the videos to help anyone thinking of having a go themselves before I sold the bike.

I'm on a GSA now though- probably best that I don't go into why here.  :silence:

If you are thinking of giving it a go yourself I can make some suggestions about how to approach it- feel free to ask me here or PM me.

There were a couple of decisions that you need to make when doing it that if you get wrong will render an expensive plastic part (or two) useless.
In particular the placement of the cam lock is quite crucial- too far forward and you won't be able to secure the cam lock and too far back and it won't reach the sat nav mount to stop the eject button from working.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

.... and now also a commercial solution for those who do not like own tinkering ^-^
[attachimg=1]
http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/de/navi-s ... 302-1.html
You are welcome
from a wintry Sweden
Attachments
21170-302_01_web[1].jpg
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Is that a nut I can see on the bottom of the lock barrel if it is twenty seconds and its gone!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Back to the drawing board with that one I think.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Very Germanically engineered, but that nut.....oh dear, that is a weakness from an anti-theft point of view!! Surely? ???
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Looks like a blacksmith made it from some off-cuts!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Yes, maybe some of the blacksmiths who supplies all other steel gadgets like, crash bars, lockable GPS handlebar brackets, headlight protectors, pannier racks, sump guards….etc, mainly to all those who likes to give their GS a typical off-road style!! ;) ;) ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's where most of their offerings should stay, weighing down GSs
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Oh dear!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

octatonic wrote: Oh dear!

At least your sat nav now locks ok on your GS :)