Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
BeeJay

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by BeeJay »

I think that the trouble with these "locks" that leave the unit on display doesn't stop a would-be thief.
It may stop the casual passing-by toe rag but I would be concerned about the damage caused in trying ti remove the unit.
Breast pocket works for me.
:)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some day, one day, way into the future BMW will remember they have the near perfect solution on the 1600K. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
At least your sat nav now locks ok on your GS :)

On the GS you get the opposite problem - you can't mount the satnav WITHOUT locking it...
Si_Burnout
Belgium

Post by Si_Burnout »

I just stick it in the left side compartment. It fits without the case and then I lock the bike if I'm taking a quick pitstop. Otherwise I take it off completely.
Live to ride and ride to live.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I just stick it in the left side compartment. It fits without the case and then I lock the bike if I'm taking a quick pitstop. Otherwise I take it off completely.

Is the correct solution. 
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Si_Burnout wrote: I just stick it in the left side compartment. It fits without the case and then I lock the bike if I'm taking a quick pitstop. Otherwise I take it off completely.
Works for me too.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Casbar wrote:
At least your sat nav now locks ok on your GS :)

Yes, it does.
I have an annoying issue with the GS of course.
Can you believe BMW don't clearcoat the aluminium panniers, so the minute you take them out they start to corrode.
I'm in contact with BMW to return them and get a less stupid design. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So you bought a GSA them.  What do you intend to replace the panniers with.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

octatonic wrote:
Yes, it does.
I have an annoying issue with the GS of course.
Can you believe BMW don't clearcoat the aluminium panniers, so the minute you take them out they start to corrode.
I'm in contact with BMW to return them and get a less stupid design. :)

Interesting...

I've also swapped to a GS but opted not to go for the GSA.  It just seemed like an inferior RT to me - all the weight but not of the weather protection or comfort.  I went for the ordinary GS, so I can push the bike around and so on.  Have to say I do miss the cubbyholes on the RT though, so maybe the GSA would have been a better idea!

On the aluminium panniers, I used to have a Stelvio with Trax boxes.  I don't remember them going all spotty like you BMW ones have - but maybe I just have a selective memory...

Last edited by richardbd on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

RTman10 wrote: So you bought a GSA them.  What do you intend to replace the panniers with.

Yeah a GSA- I love it.
Replacing them with Bumot- already have the topbox and it is pukka!
Last edited by octatonic on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

richardbd wrote:
Interesting...

I've also swapped to a GS but opted not to go for the GSA.  It just seemed like an inferior RT to me - all the weight but not of the weather protection or comfort.  I went for the ordinary GS, so I can push the bike around and so on.  Have to say I do miss the cubbyholes on the RT though, so maybe the GSA would have been a better idea!

On the aluminium panniers, I used to have a Stelio with Trax boxes.  I don't remember them going all spotty like you BMW ones have - but maybe I just have a selective memory...

The GSA is a big boy but the weight is all low down- neither the RT or the GSA bother me in terms of size.
I agree the weather protection is poorer but I can take it offroad more easily and the GSA has better ergonomics for me.
I'm doing London to Bangkok next year so I would have had to change bike anyway.

The panniers, well the current panniers are worse than the ones from a few years earlier from all accounts.
This happened on the 40 mile trip home from picking it up.
That is corrosion- it won't polish out- I tried.
It is mad, really.
Loads of people get the wrapped but I'm not doing that to fix an obvious design flaw, I can just get something that works.

Last edited by octatonic on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

that looks really bad! What kind of off road are you going to do? Would have thought the GSA was a bit heavy for real off roading, or are you talking about loose surface roads? I had a GS loaner in November, it was a hoot going down the lanes, felt more shore footed than my RT.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Casbar wrote: that looks really bad! What kind of off road are you going to do? Would have thought the GSA was a bit heavy for real off roading, or are you talking about loose surface roads? I had a GS loaner in November, it was a hoot going down the lanes, felt more shore footed than my RT.

Whatever roads are between here and Bangkok.
I'll let you know once I've done it :)

A lot of bad roads, some of it is no roads.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

octatonic wrote: A lot of bad roads, some of it is no roads.

...and you reckon a GSA is the right answer??

I took a GS u the Dalton, along the Denali and over the Top of the World and I thought that was on the heavy side!

When I did Iceland on the gravel roads, the Sertao was more like it...
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

richardbd wrote:
...and you reckon a GSA is the right answer??

I took a GS u the Dalton, along the Denali and over the Top of the World and I thought that was on the heavy side!

When I did Iceland on the gravel roads, the Sertao was more like it...

Yeah, it will be fine.
I find the GSA handles great- the front end feels more planted than the GS.
A guy did this trip last year on a huge Victory cruiser that weighed an additional 100kg- it was tricked out a bit.