Headlamp not working

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
HowardE

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by HowardE »

My dealer also replaced both switches on my 2011 RT when it was in for service and at the time I was having no problem with the switches. I was very happy with their handling of the issue. The new switches do seem to have a more positive tactile feel to them.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

HowardE wrote:My dealer also replaced both switches on my 2011 RT when it was in for service and at the time I was having no problem with the switches.
Is this a USA, UK or Other Bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When they are replaced depends on your VIN No when a dealer sees the bike or when they fail as BMW did it as a technical campaign not as a recall
moonie

Post by moonie »

Im in the USA. MIchigan to be exact.
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

RTman10 wrote: When they are replaced depends on your VIN No when a dealer sees the bike or when they fail as BMW did it as a technical campaign not as a recall

The reply I received this morning from BMW customer services....

Good morning Chris

Thanks for your email about the faulty light functions on your BMW R 1200. I’m sorry to read this and can understand how disappointing this must be for you.

Had this been a know fault, a quality enhancement would have been released to repair the part free of charge. I’ve checked our records and there is nothing outstanding for your bike. I suggest you make arrangements for it to be inspected by the technicians within a BMW Motorrad Centre. Once this is completed they’ll tell you what work is needed and how much it’ll cost . You can find your nearest Centre here.

I hope this helps. But if there’s anything else I can do for you in the meantime, please get back in touch.

Kind regards

Deborah...

I have replied to the email stating that there are members on several BMW forums that have had them replaced free of charge....I shall post up any reply once received...
Last edited by chrismckay on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like both the BMW Dealer & BMW Customer Services are saying the same thing.

They need to inspect/investigate the problem first before taking any further action.
moonie

Post by moonie »

I have replied to the email stating that there are members on several BMW forums that have had them replaced free of charge....I shall post up any reply once received...

Maybe this will help: If your left side controller looks like the one in this photo, ((the red horn button is hooked on the new one) then it has already been replaced and you have a different issue. If it doesn't, then you really should visit a dealer and get to the bottom of this.

This is the new one i had replaced under the campaign about 3 weeks ago. I am the 2nd owner of the motorcycle and i purchased it from a used motor sports dealer in a small rural farming community in Michigan.

I only knew about the issue from a call to the dealer about getting new tires. When he asked for my VIN, he told me there was a campaign to replace the L/R controllers for free and would i like to schedule an appointment.

Mine is a 2012 R1200RT Premium with 34k miles.

Good Luck.
Attachments
20151103_064655.jpg
Last edited by moonie on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

moonie wrote:
I only knew about the issue from a call to the dealer about getting new tires. When he asked for my VIN, he told me there was a campaign to replace the L/R controllers for free and would i like to schedule an appointment.

Mine is a 2012 R1200RT Premium with 34k miles.

I posted a thread on the forum some time ago regarding an email I received from Williams Motorcycles Manchester telling me about the L/C needing replacing that they would do on my next arranged visit also inspect and replace R/C if necessary.

My bike is a LCRT 2014
moonie

Post by moonie »

Spencert231 wrote:
I posted a thread on the forum some time ago regarding an email I received from Williams Motorcycles Manchester telling me about the L/C needing replacing that they would do on my next arranged visit also inspect and replace R/C if necessary.

My bike is a LCRT 2014
This is why i posted the photo. If it has already been replaced by the previous owner under the campaign then they would not have an alert for his VIN. That seems to be the only reason i can think of  for them not finding it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I understood the switchgear problem on the LC only effected those built up to mid 2014 and it was only the right switch. The rocker kill/start switch was the problem. All owners were notified by their dealers. Mine was replaced in Oct 14 on the day the original switch suddenly went  nearly solid.
Gadgetsandwheels

Post by Gadgetsandwheels »

Hello.  As a new RT owner as of yesterday, I thought I'd add a quick note of the switch assembly experience I had with my previous 2015 GS Adventure.  The switch assembly failed after 4000 miles of using the bike.  Or 3 months in time.  The cruise control stopped working.  Followed by the info button sticking down when pressed.  They replaced the switch cluster under warranty.  I'm assuming they will have used one manufacturer for the GSA and RT and the switches certainly look similar.  So, it's very likely that the quality of design issue isn't exclusive to bikes before 2015.  Having previously had a 2004 GS with no switch problems after 29,000 miles, it would seem to be a sign that quality standards have slipped for these switch units.  Anyway, I've enjoyed my RT for the first 60 miles of use so far  :) .
R1200RT 2015 after previously owning 3 R1200GS bikes.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To my knowledge there was never a problem with pre 2010 switchgear.  I blame MCN who spent years knocking the 3 button indicator set up. Now 5 years on they reckon it was OK. There have been at least 2 different manufacturers of the switch gear but things only started to get seriously bad with the 1600 in 2011. Just too many functions in one cluster.  I have lost count of how many different versions there have been. They all look just about the same but the latest lot feel different.  I'm of the opinion the problems have been solved although I'm sure the odd one will still fail.  After all they are electric switched working in extreme conditions, most of the time if you live in UK.