Swiss passes 2016

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
SwissCheese
Switzerland

Re: Swiss passes 2016

Post by SwissCheese »

Hi everybody,
I bought my very first BMW last summer, having migrated from a Honda Varadero. For the record: A 2013 R1200 RT, in a (very fast) blue. My girlfriend and me are very happy with the bike... (in fact it is our bike)!
I’ve been reading this forum since then, but it was this very thread that triggered me to subscribe.
The intention is of course to correct some of the statements above!
Let’s start with the most important: There is no need to bring your own beer! Compared to what I paid last summer in english pubs the beer in Switzerland is cheap (and it is comes chilled)! [emoji14] Of course you might find places (as you do all over the world),where you pay 10£ for a beer. But at those places it is not is served in a cans...
There are NO charges for passes, tunnels (there’s only one exeption that I’m aware of and it is mentioned above). And you need this stickers only if you are riding on motorways (autobahn). But being a biker you wouldn’t do such, would you? If you entend visiting (!) Switzerland you definetely don’t need this sticker.
Yeah, you are right: Switzerland is not the most low priced country. But with a little common sense you may stay out of the high priced areas. I.e. you have your coffee not on the pass with the great view but maybe in a place 10 minutes below the summit. You miss the coming and going of the other bikers, the view is less spectacular and the waitress is maybe a little „more experienced“. You decide...
Entering Switzerland via the Vue des Alps as proposed by Bertie is the right thing to do. Only: This place does not qualify as a pass... we call it a „bubble in the tarmac“. [emoji39] But the Jura (this array of hills in the NW of Switzerland) has is own charm.
Please feel free to contact me if you come to Switzerland. I might be tempted to show you around. If you have a fast bike... (a blue one).
Greets
Henry
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Last edited by SwissCheese on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Some good points in here Henry - and welcome to the forum.

The Swiss obviously have a strange idea of what a fast colour looks like though...

:alas: :alas: :alas:
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello Henry and welcome....and what an excellent choice of bike colour too! ;) Thanks for posting those interesting comments. The wife and I are looking to transit across some of Switzerland later this year, ie coming from Austria across towards Lucerne and then N up towards Basle and then up into the Black Forest. Therefore, if you can advise on decent affordable accommodation and the like in Switzerland en route, then it would be much appreciated by myself and I'm sure by the other forum members as well.
Thanks and safe riding.
PS Jura in the NE ?? The canton of Jura is in the NW, or did I misunderstand your post?? :)
SwissCheese
Switzerland

Post by SwissCheese »

Hi Steve,
yes, the Jura is in the NW, you are right. I rectified the original post. This was just out of habit sending the tourists away, so we have your Jura just for ourselves.

Let me ponder about suitable advises for a few days and I'll get back to you. Do you have to pass Lucerne? In case you don't, there are a lot more curves / passes to suggest if you rode over Interlaken.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Okay Henry. Thank you. Re passing Lucerne - no hard and fast route plans thus far, just rough planning at this stage, so open to any suggestions for more interesting routes. :) 
SwissCheese
Switzerland

Post by SwissCheese »

Hi Steve,

following your wish to enter Switzerland from the west I start my tour suggestion after Innsbruck. Where you should turn south towards the Oetz-Tal in order to cross the TIMMELSJOCH-pass (you don’t want to miss this one!). You will end up in the Sudtirol in Italy.
In case you are in need of a hotel, you might want to look for a hotel in Moos (the very first village after the pass). I suggest from own experience the «Gasthof Lanthaler in the Centre. Just don’t forget to return the key of the garage when you leave… because that’s what I did!

After Meran you turn west to conquer the STILFSERJOCH-pass. I’ve been pondering about this proposal. The Paso Stelvio (Italian name) is not the most exciting pass from a bikers point of view, but the sheer accumulation of those hairpins is fascinating and you will be envied by everyone who is into cycling (giro d’Italia). It’s an excellent route to practice slow turns.

Shortly after the top you should turn right towards the UMBRAIL-pass, where you (finally) get out of the EU (your personal Brexit). Welcome to Switzerland! Take a breath and enjoy… beDown in the valley (Val Müstair) you might as well find inexpensive places to stay.

The next pass (called OFEN-pass) crosses right through the Swiss National Parc, although I doubt you will see capricorns. In Zernez you enter the famous Engadin, a wide valley at 1800m with it’s capital St. Moritz. This might not be the best spot to look for accommodation… not a nice town tough, but the countryside is: Do follow the lakes up to at least Silvaplana! You are now very close to the source of the Inn, one of the major rivers that joins the Donau.

Then turn back to where you came from and take the next pass to the left (ALBULA-pass). Not the JULIER-pass! There are no more passes for a while. You will end up in Bonaduz in the Rhine-Valley. Turn left and follow the normal street along the young Rhine. I suggest accommodation in or around Disentis. You are now very close to the source of the Rhine.

You placed yourself right at the very heart of pass-heaven. A bikers dream! Go for the OBERALP-pass, down to Andermatt, where you turn left for the GOTTHARD-pass… Wait, wait, have a look at the Teufelsbrücke (devils bridge) first. They say it took a deal with the devil to build this bridge. In return he would be awarded with the first soul to cross the bridge. The old swiss sent a goat over the bridge first!

Back towards the GOTTHARD: Make sure to drive the OLD road (called TREMOLA, check twice). Yes, there are cobblestones. But, you’re not driving this road because you’re on a motorbike, but because this used to be the most important pass of the alps: It’s a Swiss monument! Sorry, it took me away for a second …

After the GOTTHARD in Airolo you turn right for the NUFENEN-pass. The river (called Ticino joins the Po in Italy for the Adriatic sea). If you’re not completely unlucky, you will notice the different smell: You’re in TICINO: The southernmost canton of Switzerland. The NUFENEN takes you to the Wallis. The locals think of themselves as Swiss, while they call the rest of us the “Outer Swiss”.

I do urge you to look for an accommodation: Order a Raclette or a fondue and a bottle of Fendant (white wine). I know you’re English, but no: NO beer! That’s what you do when you’re in the Wallis.

The next morning you go for the FURKA-pass. On the pass you might want to visit RHONE-glacier. Yes, the source of the river Rhone that joins the Mediterranean Sea. If you went straight on, you would be back in Andermatt, where you started for the GOTTHARD. But to get you back on track for the Schwarzwald (nobody knows why anybody wants to go there): Turn around and go back where you came from. Do not go to fast, because in Gletsch you should turn right for the GRIMSEL-pass. My favorite… but watch out: You might not be alone! You’re following the river Aare, which joins the Rhine on its way to the Netherlands.

Shortly after Innertkirchen go and visit the Aareschlucht. You cannot and should not miss it!
In Meiringen you might want to visit the Reichenbachfall. Do I ring a bell? Yes, that’s where Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty “died”. A must for an Englishman!

The drive along the Lake of Brienz is pleasant: In Interlaken you might finally find a place, where you pay 10 swiss francs for a beer if you look hard enough! Instead of leading you through “the bay” (how swiss bikers call the right hand side of the lake Thun between Interlaken and Thun),I suggest you drive over Beatenberg. You hardly find a more breathtaking view at the major mountains of the Bernese Alps including Eiger, Moench and Jungfrau. With a little luck you might even find a reasonably priced accomodation in Beatenberg.

In Thun make sure to find your way to the SCHALLENBERG-pass. This one leads you right into the heart of the EMMENTAL, where the famous Swiss cheese - the one with the holes - comes from.
Now we are definitely running out of mountains, since you are taking the wrong heading. With the crossing of the Jura, you might find some more bends, but they are definitely less frequent. Well, what do you expect from a 1000 meter high bump in the countryside?

After crossing the Jura, you’re back along the Rhine, where my GPX-files lets you run freely.
Enjoy the trip! If you’re up to, let me know when you’re around: We could meet on the GRIMSEL-pass.

Anybody else who needs a personalized trip suggestion: Just ask!

Cheers
Henry

As for the attached files: Those are in fact GPX-Files. I had to rename them in oder to upload.

Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Henry,
I'm sure I speak for all the other active forum members when I say thanks very much for all that researched information on Swiss passes etc. Much appreciated. I just need to sit down and take it all in now!
Last edited by Steve F on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.