Australian unit.

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Sleafordblade
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2020
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Australian unit.

Post by Sleafordblade »

I've just purchased a brand new unit all boxed and complete but the reason it was very cheap is that it is an Australian unit and comes with a micro sad card containing Aussie mapping.
Does anybody know if I can just install the Europe sd  card maps and go from there ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Australian unit.

Post by David. »

What make & model is the GPS Unit.
Sleafordblade
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

Navigator V garmin

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Are you sure your maps are on a micro SD card.  It should be on its internal memory, at least that's how European ones come.  BMW did sell some Navs IV with no loaded maps that were much cheaper. Haven't heard if any Vs like that.  Did yours come with lifetime free updates.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'm not familiar with the BMW Nav. V, but as it's made by Garmin, it is possible that other area Maps can be installed from an sd card.

This video shows Europe Mapping being installed from an sd card into a Garmin 660/665 Device which already has North America Maps installed,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLxNfezETw

If in any doubt, Garmin Customer Services/Technical Help is very good, they can be contacted Free on 0808 238 0000.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleafordblade
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

RT man10 on garmin express it states that the memory is 77% full so obviously something is on there. The sd card came with the unit and I placed that in the unit but nothing showing even when connected to satellites.
£74 for an update to full euro but will it work the same as a new one bought here.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When you connected to Garmin Express it should have registered it, asked you for your Email address and told you if you had the latest map update. If not it would invite you to download it.  There has been a very recent software update for the V which will also show on Garmin Express.  Use the card to load MP3 music.  It will also be needed for extra mapping.  The Nav V is a great unit which can also be used in your car with the necessary kit.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleafordblade wrote:The sd card came with the unit and I placed that in the unit but nothing showing even when connected to satellites.
Have you tried to zoom out & view Australia to see if the maps are there.

This is how to do it on a Garmin Zumo 660:-
1) View Map
2) Touch screen to get Maps in 2D
3) Use the (-) minus button to zoom out
4) When you see sufficient of the World, drag the screen to view Australia.

The Video posted previously, also shows how to do this on a Device with North America installed, before Europe was added via an SD Card.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleafordblade wrote:£74 for an update to full euro but will it work the same as a new one bought here.
Have just updated my Maps & needed to use an SD Card for the Memory required.

If I remove the SD Card & check the Map Info on the Device, only the 3D Maps are showing, replace the SD Card & ALL of the Maps are now available.

If this is the case, my guess is that purchasing a Full Euro SD Card should do the trick.

As above, it's worth ringing Garmin before parting with any cash.

Connecting my Device to the PC whilst BaseCamp is open confirms the 3D Maps are in the Internal Storage (E:) & the Memory Card (F:) holds all the other Maps.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleafordblade
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

Thanks  for all the advice guys. All sound and good. The only issue is in garmin express the unit is recognised but as soon as you you press the updates button the message comes up, cannot connect to the server. I have tried my truck garmin and that updates no problem. It also gives no options for language update. I fear that this is going to be more trouble than it's worth so I think I will not actually be saving anything. On its way back 

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleafordblade wrote:I've just purchased a brand new unit all boxed and complete but the reason it was very cheap is that it is an Australian unit and comes with a micro sad card containing Aussie mapping.
Where was the Device purchased from.
Sleafordblade
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

It was an eBay purchase  but made no mention of it being an Australian unit. I am protected by eBay money back guarantee so it's not a problem. Just a little annoyed by the misrepresentation of the ad.