Choosey Audio

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
USTourer

Choosey Audio

Post by USTourer »

I have a 2015 RT with the factory Alpine audio fitted. When I attach an USB stick (which I have for years and it works properly in an array of devices) most of the directories can not be accessed. All I have is a " No Data" display and no sound.
Is it the kbps resolution of the file or, or something in the MP3 tags, maybe because they are - god forbid - classical musics?
So what are the criteria to be able to listen a file from USB?
Thanks.
guest2360

Re: Choosey Audio

Post by guest2360 »

It will only work with mp3 formatted music. Anything else will show no data
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

I am sorry. They are all mp3 formatted musics. In one level of directories. i.e. root-> album ->mp3 files
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't give up, its a good system.  Shove another stick in and try again.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Formatted FAT32?  What size stick?  It works fine on my 2015.  I have 1000 tunes or so on mine.
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

Thanks for the answers.

Yes it is FAT32 formatted.  Otherwise it would not even recognize the stick, I guess.

No matter what size USB stick is used -  tried 4GB - 8GB - 16GB, with same files - same result.
What matters though it seems, that MP3 files, with 320kbps - 44KHz play back normally.

My manual says about the MP3 player:

MP3 standard: MPEG1 Layer 3
Sampling rate: 32 / 44,1 / 48KHz
Bitrates: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256 kbit/s

Interestingly the 320kbps is not even in the list. More weird is that the little piece of WAV I accidentally left in a directory, plays nicely.

I give up now. Since it is end of the season here, I re-rip all the musics I want to listen next year with the working parameters.

I still insist that this is the worst MP3 player I ever owned. The technology is so mainstream that I can by a chip for less than $20.- that works with all the files Alpine listed in their manual. I do not want to elaborate how terrible the XM radio sound quality is even in wide sky view, because I do not have a reference, or that my Sena headset FM radio is way superior in FM sensibility.
Let's move on. The bike is great though.

Thanks again.