General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Service charges

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:I've even come across those who ask for their old spark plugs back so they can pass them down to their mates.
One way of checking that they have actually been changed.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes. But if you have that little trust in a dealer you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place. But he handed them over along with his just legal brake pads. Takes all sorts
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Jimbeem wrote: Is it possible / acceptable to supply own oil, for £10 hardly worth the effort I suppose.

More like £40. IMHO I think you either give the dealer or independent all the work or DIY. I do the work myself not just to save money but because I actually like doing the work. Each to their own.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

RTman10 wrote: Yes. But if you have that little trust in a dealer you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place. But he handed them over along with his just legal brake pads. Takes all sorts
Yes I agree I lost trust in my local dealer when bike was picked up by a mate and it was showing a fault. I had used them for 12 yrs and bought 2 new bikes off them. The garage I go to now charge £30 hour  I think all the oil,engine, transmission ,rear drive was £40 then the brake fluid, clutch fluid £10.

You can sit and watch him as well if you want
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

step2534 wrote:The garage I go to now.
Do you go to a Garage in/or near Barnsley.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Do you go to a Garage in/or near Barnsley.
Yes SPS Motorcycles Wakefield Road Barnsley
Budman

Post by Budman »

I always change the oil, filter and final drive oil. I have the dealer do the rest. I enjoy doing what I can but I also understand that if it involves anything to do with the computer or brakes I let the dealer do it.
I trust Eurosports of Asheville as they have given me no reason not to. They are a good bunch of people, from the sales staff to the maintenance group. 
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

The R1200RT I recently purchased had a bit vague service history got local BMW dealer John Clark in Dundee to carry out full service , filters,all oils , alt belt , plugs, cyl balance the whole nine yards
£330 inc vat
Must admit runs like a dream
Dave F
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

How much are the BMW Dealer stamps worth in the Service Book when it comes to a trade in especially if it's a trade at a BMW Dealer?

I understand that a bike has to have a FBMWSH to be sold as 'Approved Used'. It would appear then that a non FBMWSH bike would go to the 'Trade' and therefore probably attract a lower 'Trade in Value'.

I wonder how this would stack up against savings made on Servicing the bike?

My own personal view FWIW is to have a newish bike serviced with a main dealer for the stamps and computer checks as previously mentioned but then as it ages go independant or diy (if competent, which I am not).

Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My 2010 RT was Part-Ex'd at Allan Jefferies, it had some BMW Dealer & some Independent Stamps in the Book.

They weren't bothered about the non-BMWFSH & still gave me the "Top Book" price on a high mileage Bike because it was in very good clean condition.

The Bike was later advertised & sold by AJ's as An Approved Used Bike.

I bought a 2012 Used RT, is was sold with a Used Bike Warranty which costs £210.00 as part of the purchase price.
Perhaps the fact that the Bike was sold with a UBW, means the service history is irrelevant.
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
To quote the Official site,

'To qualify as a BMW Approved Used Bike, your vehicle will have been maintained to BMW servicing recommendations. In addition, any BMW bike with a service due within 1,000 miles has the appropriate service carried out prior to delivery.'

Fair enough but was thinking particularly about DIY servicing. Wouldn't like to think a bike was sold 'Approved Used' without at least a full history of reputable Dealer stamps although I doubt very much whether a BMW Dealer would check to verify compliance with BMW recommendations.

My local Yamaha dealer told me there were certain procedures they could not do and would have to send the bike to 'Rainbow BMW' with whom they have an arrangement. Academic really as Rainbow is the Dealer I use anyway but my query to them was regarding servicing an older bike.
Chris