Throttle sensitivity

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gavanhe

Throttle sensitivity

Post by gavanhe »

On several occasions have over run a corner due to having slight pressure on the throttle whilst braking.  Allowing another rider to ride the bike, he experienced the same problem. [size=2px]I feel this may be due to fly by wire throttle with insufficient spring return.[/size]
[size=2px]Wondering whether any one else has experienced the issue.[/size]
Gerry
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Throttle sensitivity

Post by richardbd »

that's a new one on me...
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, I haven't experienced that but I did initially find the RT ride-by-wire throttle feather-light compared to the traditional cable throttle on my K13GT!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Steve F wrote: No, I haven't experienced that but I did initially find the RT ride-by-wire throttle feather-light compared to the traditional cable throttle on my K13GT!
Same here both my 1600 and RT have sensitive throttles
After you get used to it, should become non issue
Jim
ll12rt

Post by ll12rt »

I noted the same issue with my '14 RT when I first got the bike a month ago and rode it home from SoCal to NorCal. What I discovered in my instance was as I reached for the front brake, my thumb was rolling the throttle ever so slightly
New: 2014 RT  Old: 2009 HD Road Glide
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've had fly by wire for over 4 years now between the 1600 and the RT. Yes its light but faultless. 
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

Yup. This (2015) is RT #3 and the back roads (bike roads) in Oz can be rough and in some situations it's more comfortable to flick on cruise control than to try to keep your throttle hand dead steady over corugations.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sid47 wrote: Yup. This (2015) is RT #3 and the back roads (bike roads) in Oz can be rough and in some situations it's more comfortable to flick on cruise control than to try to keep your throttle hand dead steady over corugations.
As you didn't notice that in your previous bikes that shows how heavy and unresponsive a throttle can be at the end of a bit of cable. You could try switching to rain mode on the rough stuff.  No loss if power just a smoother response.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

I like your thinking! I'll give that a try next piece of rough road!