What have you got planned for 2016?

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: What have you got planned for 2016?

Post by Steve F »

That's sounds like my sort of touring rotorwrench! Have a great time touring ! I've done many of the US National Parks, but, admittedly by SUV as opposed to a bike.....mainly because of having the kids in tow at the time! We explored Yellowstone last year (for the second time). What a beautiful and fascinating park it is too! We've done the Utah parks. My favourite also last year was Mesa Verde in NM. Fantastic!

Oh, how I need to get back for more of the same !! ;)
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

k9doc wrote: Hoping to have a go at this, adverse weather forced cancellation this year. 660 ish miles and another 600 or so there and back. Looks abit of a mish mash but can't avoid a little overlap.

ImageRe: What have you got planned for 2016?

If anyone is thinking about this area and is looking for further info. give me a shout, I have done 1000's of miles on these roads!
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Can't beat local knowledge. Must be nice to have this as your back yard.

Cheers.
Chris
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

NC500 at the end of April start of May.

Thunder In The Glen in August.

Looking at either France/Spain or maybe Wales or Ireland at some  point too.
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

1st tour back in Europe for thirty years for us this year, done Scotland 2 years ago and Wales last year, so looking forward to this...... Hull Zeebrugge - Ypres - Koblenz - Baden Baden - Lake Constance - Bolzano via Austria - Lake Garda (2 nights) Florence - Pisa - Genoa - Briancon - Annecy (2 nights) with a day trip into Geneva, and 3 days home!
nothing set in stone after first couple of days but that's the plan. I'm I taking on to much ?? any tips, roads, or hotels would be greatly appreciated.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Three of us on 2 RT's and a GSA off to Garmisch 1 to 3 July. We have booked a guest house about 30 minutes walk from the site. Out via the Tunnel, with overnight stops at Verdun and the Black Forest. The route out is fixed and booked but still looking for the way back. May go down to the Selvio before turning back north.
Any suggestions would be welcome as to routes or accomodation.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

DaveCly wrote: 1st tour back in Europe for thirty years for us this year, done Scotland 2 years ago and Wales last year, so looking forward to this...... Hull Zeebrugge - Ypres - Koblenz - Baden Baden - Lake Constance - Bolzano via Austria - Lake Garda (2 nights) Florence - Pisa - Genoa - Briancon - Annecy (2 nights) with a day trip into Geneva, and 3 days home!
nothing set in stone after first couple of days but that's the plan. I'm I taking on to much ?? any tips, roads, or hotels would be greatly appreciated.
Dave,
My buddy and I did a whistle stop run around a while back.  York- Folkestone, Calais-CreseySur Serre on first day, then through France and onto a campsite at Bern for second night.  Bern-Interlaken-Lucerne-Basel-Heidelberg for our third night.  Heidelberg-Koblenz-Wiesbaden-Simmerath for hotel in Eifel National Park.  Last day ride home through Belgium and to Chunnel back to York.  All in four nights, 1900 miles, great weather, alas not much time for sight seeing.
Looks a lot shorter on a map !!!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Hell !! Cleverbee that's a long way in 4 days, I'm impressed I'm thinking 14, and maybe stretching it to 17, I'm thinking it will be 2.5k, but got to keep MrsCly happy  :)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Sounds like a plan.

The trip was on my '88 LT, just hope the RT lasts as long !!!!!!!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
SwissCheese
Switzerland

Post by SwissCheese »

Hi Dave,
I’ve been in the region on some trips, and I really do think you taking in too much. But, of course, this is just depending upon what makes MrsCly happy...
If MrsCly likes sightseeing (some call it “culture”),fine dining, shopping as well as biking you just can’t drive down to Florence without staying at least 2 nights. You just can’t! The same goes for Pisa, Verona, Parma, Bologna… you name it.
When you are down there, you have to drive through “Cinque terre” between La Spezia and Genoa. You can’t miss visiting a marble stone pit in Carrara.
[attachimg=2] Wrong bike, I know!

While in Bologna visit Ducati (but, of course you’ll have to parc a BMW outside the company premises).
In my opinion, biking in Italy is veeeery time consuming. To proof my point, have a look at the following google map: https://www.google.ch/maps/place/44%C2%B012'33.2%22N+10%C2%B031'09.2%22E/@44.230908,10.5312194,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0
I don’t know this place. Never been there. I just picked it out by chance. But have a look at the amount of turns… this is what makes Mrs Swisscheese happy as long as we end up in a place with a clean room and a decent restaurant. Which is NEVER a problem in Italy… something that does not apply to every other country J.

I suggest you leave the highways the latest in Ravensburg, aim for Immenstadt and follow the road to Weissenbach am Lech.
[attachimg=1]

After ELMEN don’t miss the turn towards IMST, this is where you finally start smiling. Then go for the OETZTAL and the TIMMELSJOCH (the only acceptable way to Meran from the north). Forget the Brenner. After passing MERAN, follow SS42 / SS43 / SS421 instead of the main road: Prepare to stop every 5 Minutes, because MrsCly would like to take a pictures. [attachimg=3]
Along the Lake of Garda you’ll find ample opportunity to spend lots of money. And you have to queue to do so!
I’ve stayed on the west coast, next time I would go for the east coast hoping there might be more sun (in the evening) and less tourists.
From there I would stay of the highways, drive around the large cities. Maybe have a look at Verona or Bologna. And there are Maranello and Imola just around the corner… If those places do not ring a bell: Google is your friend.
Keep in mind: You can make Bologna to Florence in 1 hour @ 3 turns. Or in 3 hours @200 turns. She decides  :meditation: . And finally MrsCly might have a look at David in Florence!
[attachimg=4]

On your way back drop Genoa. IMHO the highway around Genoa might be the most dangerous part of the trip. Try to avoid it. You aimed for BRIANCON because of the Col du Galibier, didn’t you? And of course you would approach ANNCECY via the “Parc Naturel Régional du Massif des Bauges”! Annecy is a nice town, but I think one night might be enough.
After Geneva please promise me to follow the (northern) shore for a while to enjoy the vineyards. Turn left after (!) Nyon towards Champagnole France again. Or continue for Lausanne and Yverdon-les-Bains. In Yverdon select “Shortest way to Marteau (France)” on your GPS and see what happens.
Have fun
Henry
Attachments
David.jpg
AfterMeran.jpg
Carrara_MArble.jpg
Lechtal.jpg
Last edited by SwissCheese on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Hi Henry ...... Thank you very much for a wonderful reply, that as certainly wet my appetite, and will enjoy doing more research on your choices!
I only intend to book the ferry out, and the first night in Belgium, everything else we will roll with, so not to be tied down.

Thanks again
Dave
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

We're off to Luxembourg with Pidcock travel at the end of May.
Problem is I've just found out that the AA travel insurance, that we used last year, no longer will cover motorcycling for our holiday tour.
What companies are others using for their  trips abroad?
Thanks.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cover wise.co.uk. 4 day trip last year for the 2 of us cost a whopping £8.96.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

LV covered the wife and I for a multi-trip annual travel insurance policy (no exclusions for motorcycling)..
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks for the replies.
LV cover is £50 (CSAMA member) whereas coverwise are quoting £19.25.
A big difference.
Just checking the small print....