What have you got planned for 2016?

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
MacJ

Re: What have you got planned for 2016?

Post by MacJ »

Two of us will be riding back from Garmische on the Monday following the BMW Rally and hoping to get a mid morning Channel Tunnel  crossing on Wednesday so that'll be two nights out.
Any route and accomodation suggestions would be welcome.

Mac J
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I did Garmisch in 2012 with BMW Tours.  Can't quite remember the route back but it was over 2 days staying in Mulhouse and Reims.  To Mulhouse we followed Lake Constance then turned north.  From Mulhouse to Reims was very hilly. It was an easy dash to the tunnel from Reims. 
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Thanks for that. I hope we can get a bit closer to the Eurotunnel for the last night as I still have 220 miles left once I cross the Channel.
MacJ
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Make sure you stay well back from Calais Eurotunnel and the surrounding area on your last night, unless the thought of roaming migrants doesn't bother you!  I also have a 200 mile journey back once I get back to the UK, and I'm looking to stay in Arras. Far enough away from trouble, without being too far for a final whizz up the A route to the terminal. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Reims to Calais is only about 2 1/2 hrs and there are lots of good places to stay overnight.  I have used the Holidsy in in the centre and the Ibis just off the motorway. I also have a 200 mile trip home from Folkestone.  Arrive there about noon and it's not too crowded round the 25 so another 3 1/2 hrs will see you home.  Anywhere within 50 mile of Calais is probably best avoided overnight.
TJriderVA

Post by TJriderVA »

Just spent two weeks in SantaFe New Mexico. Did wonderfull day trips to Taos , Sandia, and north to ghost ranch where Georgia Okeefe painted. Amazing area. Recommend you buy the Butler map of New Mexico. It had all the best rides, even those the locals recomended.
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Nearly repeating the route I took last year in September
Hook of Holland to a little place just outside verdun, down through the vosages and on to the east of Grenoble. Pick up the now famous Alps route. Stop in briancon for a couple of days doing the passes to the south which by the way are very nice!
Back up through Switzerland and onto the Black Forest, then into Luxembourg and then the horrible last day because you have to get on the ferry to come home! 9 days and everyone  a good one, bar the last!
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

DaveCly wrote: 1st tour back in Europe for thirty years for us this year, done Scotland 2 years ago and Wales last year, so looking forward to this...... Hull Zeebrugge - Ypres - Koblenz - Baden Baden - Lake Constance - Bolzano via Austria - Lake Garda (2 nights) Florence - Pisa - Genoa - Briancon - Annecy (2 nights) with a day trip into Geneva, and 3 days home!
nothing set in stone after first couple of days but that's the plan. I'm I taking on to much ?? any tips, roads, or hotels would be greatly appreciated.
Well got back on Monday from this trip, can't believe how much we did and so, thanks must go to Swisscheese for his post, and dropped Genoa, but put in Levanto from Pisa, what fantastic roads in the Cinque Terre, From Lake Garda, great curvy roads via Mendola pass and Molvena Lake, from Bolzano!
It was a trip of Lakes ( Garda Annecy and Geneva) and Mountains, ( Timmeljoch Jaufenpass and Penserjoch) in Austria, followed by Col Du Lautaret Col Du Galibier, and the Telegraphe.
3003 miles, 17 days, 8 Countries inc the Uk, 55.4mpg
Thanks again to Henry for his post I owe you a beer if we ever meet up 👍
Pic if Sucessful is descending of the Col Du Galibier 😎
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by DaveCly on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Having finally completed the Service Items, Cleaning & ACF-50 Treatment of my RT for Laying up/Winter Storage, thoughts now turn to 2016.
I haven't got anything planned yet, have you?
Off to Espana via Plymouth Santander Brittany Ferries ( last year's Spanish trip went from Caen and it rained until South of La Rochelle (Management Not Impressed 😣). Out East through Pico's Verde then tracking back to use Zaragoza as a base to watch Aragon Motogp (£90 for three day pass Inc Grandstand Seating !). Heading Northwest to travel back through Pyrenees to San Sebastian. Lovely two weeks this time of year in land of Rioja.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Off to Cape Town on Tuesday night.

Riding up the west coast of SA, across into Namibia and through Fish River Canyon.  Then up into Namib Nakluft and through Sossusvlei.  Out to Swkopmund on the Skeleton Coast.  Then across east to Windhoek and into Botswana.  Round the bottom end of the Okavango Delta, down to the Makgadikgadi pans and finally up to Kasane and across into Zambia for the Victoria Falls.

Have to confess though, it won't be on the RT!

guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

What bike are you riding ?
TCM

Post by TCM »

Off to France on Friday, two nights in Brittany and then make the rest up as I go!
If it's not broken,you didn't hit it hard enough!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Mike wrote: What bike are you riding ?

Ashamed to confess but...

R1200GS LC!
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Enjoy the ride. Sounds like it's a long one. Good luck

richardbd