Fancy a Change ?.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Fancy a Change ?.

Post by Our Gee »

Just had a wander around my local Yamaha Dealer whilst the Missus was having her hair done (more expense !!). Brand new, registered but un-used 2015 Model Yamaha FJR 1300A in a lovely Gunmetal Grey. £11,750. Very impressed by the finish and the Handlebar Switches looked real classy compared to the stuff BMW are fitting.
Catfunt

Re: Fancy a Change ?.

Post by Catfunt »

Had an FJR briefly a while back - 2009 model. It was more sport than tourer for me - cracking bike though. Problem for me was the 5 speed gearbox - I prefer a lazy 6th gear. Would definitely consider one if they changed the gearbox - if they haven't already that is!
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Switch gear is sure to look neater. Hadn't got to deal with cruise control, engine modes, ESA, central locking,audio. Then there's the lack of any storage. And its still 290kg.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Appreciate your view RTman10 but despite the number of functions the BMW Switch has to incorporate, although it has to be said my own SE Model does not have Engine Modes, Central Locking and Audio it's the quality of the material which stands out. The Switch body and the actual buttons look classy and more ergonomic than the BMW effort which to me looks like something out of a Christmas Cracker, which can be born out by the fact that I'm on my third switch in less than 12,000 miles.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Only ridden an FJR once, three or four years ago.  I recollect a turbine-smooth engine; constantly tooting the horn when trying to change the (clutchless) gears, a screen the size of a barn door and steering that a circus strongman would have found heavy.

All that said, it was a great mile-muncher.

Wouldn't swap my LCRT for one though...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Switches apart, one of the main differences between BMW bikes and all the rest is how much you can use them and still be able to sell them on. Take a Japanese bike into a dealer showing 12K after a year and he will show you the way to the nearest skip.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Absolutely fantastic bike, FJR 1300, had 5, the last of which was a 2014 AE, which I kept for 12 months. Like a change so now back on a 2011 RT SE.
The electronics package on the new model is far superior to my TC RT as is the engine and pretty much everything else BUT there's summat about a BMW despite the issues. (can't compere to the LC as never ridden one). Why have 6 gears when 5 do the job superbly. It might sound a bit daft but my Boxers (3 RTs and 5 GSs all seemed to have soul and I could bond whereas the FJRs (although brilliant and possibly superior bikes) never had this effect.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Had a FJR1300 for two years. Its the best looking tourer IMHO and well made. However it desperately needs a 6 gear. Sold mine to buy the RT mainly because I could not get the FJR to handle how I wanted. However its a bullet proof bike the only weak area that I know off being the rear suspension linkage which if not lubed can seize and fail. The problem is its a pain to do because the centre stand needs to be removed which means hanging the bike from something. Result dealers don't do it ! I had a Gen 2 and I believe the latest Gen 3 still has the centre stand in the wrong place. If you need any information have a chat to FJR Owners Club who know all there is to know about FJRs. Good workshop facilities and very reasonable pricing.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote:Switch gear is sure to look neater. Hadn't got to deal with cruise control, engine modes, ESA,
Had all that. Better organised and better put together on the FJR.
richardbd wrote:Only ridden an FJR once, three or four years ago.  I recollect a turbine-smooth engine; constantly tooting the horn when trying to change the (clutchless) gears, a screen the size of a barn door and steering that a circus strongman would have found heavy.
OE screen is smaller than the RT and the steering is sweet and neutral with good tyres at the right pressure. Does take a bit of getting used to though.
RTman10 wrote: Switches apart, one of the main differences between BMW bikes and all the rest is how much you can use them and still be able to sell them on. Take a Japanese bike into a dealer showing 12K after a year and he will show you the way to the nearest skip.
Bought a Demonstrator bike with very few miles. Sold it back to the Yamaha Dealer 12 months later with 9200 miles on the clock (granted not 12k) for £1500 less than I paid. Better deal than I ever got with a BMW.

Just trying to be even handed and riding a BMW, my 8th, at the moment. Goes back, IMO, to the 'soul' thing but definitely not the standard of manufacture.
Chris
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

A good all round mix of comments, well done chaps. Getting back to my original post, the main thing which caught my eye was the screen price. At £11,750 that's a cracking bargain.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

The thing that attracted me back to the FJR was the ESA, don't think I would have bothered without it. That's where the RT had the upper hand IMO with the add ons ie Cruise Control, ESA and heated seats etc. over the Gen 2 FJRs. With the Gen 3 FJR AE, that was sorted. The ESA really transforms the bike for me and definitely worth paying the extra. Also very likely to affect resale values.

Extolling the virtues of another marque on an RT forum is, I suspect, not good manners so I'd better leave it at that. People on this forum are very civilised, as in 'another place' I would have been advised to f*** *** ie find my way back to the FJR boards.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes I think I know what forum you mean, a lot of piss taking etc... One of the reasons I like this forum is that you get a diverse set of opinions and members seem to respect your views. Hope it stays that way. See no problem promoting a different make of bike after all most of us here have more than one and I bet they are not all BMW. Glad you enjoy your FJR. My second bike is a Pan 1300 or as my mates call it Pants. Love it very different to my RT.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Have had 2 FJR's, in fact I still have 1. The FJR is a very good and reliable bike, it handles real well and will take you round the world should you so desire. It is not as comfortable as a BMW and not as high spec, but a very good bike. Purchased my first BMW in 2011, a GTLE 1600 and had a love hate relationship with it, loved the bike but hated all the stupid little problems and the drive train, now on a GTL Exclusive and again love it but it still has a few stupid little problems. You are right about BMW's, there is just something about them that hooks you, but I will not part with my FJR, both good bikes as I am sure the RT is as well. Take you pick and pay the money and enjoy whatever choice you make, they all have two wheels and that's what counts.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

My old Fjr is up for sale now at So many bikes. I had a nitron shock and wilbers progressive springs fitted plus a professional set up done but it still didn't handle the way the RT does. I also found the vibrations through the bars sent my hands numb. Good bike but the RT is streets better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk