Brake Fluid Change 2013 Twin Cam RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake Fluid Change 2013 Twin Cam RT

Post by David. »

David. wrote:One of the reasons for this decision is, that I've been told by a BMW dealer, they were having a chew on with BMW Warranty over the replacement of a failed ABS unit, on a bike which had not had the brake fluid changed as recommended, every two years, after year one.
The BMW dealer has confirmed that the ABS unit is flushed as part of the F&R brake fluid change procedure.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Update, to hopefully add some more clarity to the subject of Brake Fluid change on the Twincam RT as I have had this task carried out at a BMW Dealer today on my 2011 Bike.
I chose to have this done at the "Dealers" as I understood (wrongly as it seems) that the ABS pump needed to be cycled as part of the Fluid changing procedure and that this required the Dealer computer and associated Technical knowledge. However, after talking to the Dealer Senior Technician I have now learned that this is only necessary on pre-Twincam bikes band and that a "conventional fill, flush and bleed is all that is required. Although  the amount of Fluid required will be greater than non-abs bikes.
So then, whilst it does seem that this job "is" within the scope of a competent home mechanic I'm pleased to have had this done at the Dealers today for a fair price and my brakes really do feel better.
Only gripe : No customer Toilets !!
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I had mine changed recently too (2012), without the need for ABS pump interference. 

My fluid goes 'murky' over time.  I've replaced the seal and cap with new ones, which will hopefully stop the moisture ingress.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The F&R brake fluid on my 2012 Camhead was last changed at Allan Jefferies in 2020 for a cost of £53.78.
This included the brake fluid, the invoice showed 500ml for the front & 250ml for the rear.

As posted previously, this is a cost I'm prepared to pay every 2 years to maintain the T&C's of the warranty.

In 2019, I too had to change the front brake fluid reservoir rubber boot/seal it was weeping slightly. It would appear that they are a service item.

Service, brakes (#22)
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

It's worth activating the ABS via the rear brake pedal every now and then to circulate any fluid that's within the ABS pump.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

simbo wrote: It's worth activating the ABS via the rear brake pedal every now and then to circulate any fluid that's within the ABS pump.

That's interesting, never thought of that one. Seems like a good idea, I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable patch of Diesel !!.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

It's worth activating the ABS via the rear brake pedal every now and then to circulate any fluid that's within the ABS pump.
I do it every now and then when I start a ride, just stand on the brake when there is no-one behind you on leaves or when it is wet. Also, if you push the bike around with the ignition on / engine off and use the front brake you can hear the ABS doing "something".
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Trying to do a front end stoppie or endo would be much more fun!

During an i2i MCA Machine Control Course braking exercise,
I managed to get the rear wheel off the ground on my 2007 Hexhead.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

David, Please practice your front end stopies, so you can show us your skills in July!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It wasn't that good, suffice to say, I only got the rear wheel about 6" off the ground and that was by accident, not deliberately.
The idea of the exercise was to demonstrate the level of grip available and how to reduce stopping distances.

Sorry to disappoint, but you won't be seeing any "stunts" in July!
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

The correct procedure for bleeding the brakes is, change the fluid in the front and rear braking systems. Then activate the ABS pump with a gs - 911 (or similar) to expell any old fluid within the ABS unit into the system. Then change the brake fluid front and rear again to complete the job... Activating the ABS via the rear brake (trying to do a skid) periodically pumps any brake fluid within the ABS back into the main braking system. Bear in mind that the fluid sat in the ABS unit could have been sat in there for over two years (or longer) if you've never activated the ABS on the bike.

You could probably do the job without the use of a GS-911 by activating the ABS system a few times between changes.

That's what I do anyway, regardless of what the Senior Technician by Royal Appointment says.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this video of a brake fluid flush on a 2016 Wethead GS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBE_vDjj4Zs

Another thorough video showing the ABS unit being flushed using a GS-911 in conjunction with manual bleeding, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kmEwehxFXY

If the procedure for a Camhead RT with ABS is the same, then the ABS unit needs to be flushed using a GS-911 or BMW diagnostic equipment.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I have a gs-911. Must get it out of the box one day!!
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Oh dear, confusion and uncertainty still reins. I can only go by what the Dealer Technician told me. Perhaps David could be so kind as to contact Alan Jefferies (where he had his Brake Fluid changed) and raise a query with them as to the technique and procedure they themselves followed.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Perhaps David could be so kind as to contact Alan Jefferies (where he had his Brake Fluid changed) and raise a query with them as to the technique and procedure they themselves followed.
Yes, I will contact AJ's next week, not open today.

Meanwhile, more info. from the R1200R Forum, https://www.r1200rforum.com/threads/bra ... nge.15369/

Found this on BMWMOA, Brake flush 2013 R1200RT, https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... 13-R1200RT
Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.