Brake Fluid Change 2013 Twin Cam RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake Fluid Change 2013 Twin Cam RT

Post by David. »

David. wrote:The BMW dealer has confirmed that the ABS unit is flushed as part of the F&R brake fluid change procedure.
This was the reply I got from Cooper BMW Sunderland in 2017 when the brake fluid was last changed before next having it done at AJ's in 2020.

Cooper Sunderland have now come up with two different answers to the same question, it'll be interesting to hear what AJ's have to say.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:ABS unit along with both front and rear circuits to be flushed at a local "independant" who talked me through the procedure.
What procedure did the local independent use, was the ABS unit activated/flushed with a GS-911 or equivalent between manual flushing of F&R brakes.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

David. wrote: What procedure did the local independent use, was the ABS unit activated/flushed with a GS-911 or equivalent between manual flushing of F&R brakes.

Sorry, couldn’t really say. From memory (which is getting worse) I recall him talking about about the procedure which involved the ABS Pump over the phone when I initiated my enquiry and that he had the necessary diagnostic gizmo. I did not actually witness the job as I dropped the bike off, walked around for a couple of hours and returned to find everything completed. It will be very interesting to hear what David’s dealer has to say. Incidentally, one technicians idea of flushing the ABS pump could be different to another’s. Doing a conventional flush and bleed on an RT has the fluid going from the Front Master Cylinder to the ABS module then to the Front and Rear Calipers which one may interpret as Flushing the Module. However, without cycling the Pump, the way I see it there could be contaminated Fluid trapped in there which could cause corrosion to the delicate valve mechanisms ? .
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the brake fluid circuit on a 2016 Wethead GS, most likely similar to that on a 2013 Camhead RT.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found a video of a Camhead RT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95aWkN30lXU&t=220s (skip to 20:45) for ABS pump.
Our Gee wrote:Doing a conventional flush and bleed on an RT has the fluid going from the Front Master Cylinder to the ABS module then to the Front and Rear Calipers which one may interpret as Flushing the Module. However, without cycling the Pump, the way I see it there could be contaminated Fluid trapped in there which could cause corrosion to the delicate valve mechanisms.
The above video would certainly seem to support this theory.
Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A new ABS modulator (pump) is nearly £1,500, https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike ... nth=04#sub

At approx. £60 every 2 years, having the brake fluid changed (inc. cycling the ABS pump) would seem like a good idea to me.

I'd rather do that than deliberately try to induce a rear wheel skid or practice front end stoppies!
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

[quote)

At approx. £60 every 2 years, having the brake fluid changed (inc. cycling the ABS pump) would seem like a good idea to

Which brings us back to the question. Going by the apparently different procedures voiced by Dealer Technicians who is correct ?.
Looking forward to hearing what David’s Dealer has to say.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

AJ's have confirmed this morning that on my 2012 Camhead, the ABS pump is not cycled during the otherwise manual brake fluid change procedure.

On bikes with "Integral" ABS, the ABS pump needs to be cycled, perhaps this is the difference between GEN I and GEN II ABS systems.

My RT is fitted with GEN II ABS.

From what I can see, bikes with servo brakes (early Hexheads) had GEN I (Integral) ABS. This was changed in 08.2006, my 2007 Hexhead didn't have servo brakes.

The word "Integral" seems to be misleading, perhaps servo and non-servo would be a better description.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

PRESSURE MODULATOR INTEGRAL ABS

PRESSURE MODULATOR I-ABS GENERATION 2 

Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.