My 2016 R1200RT report

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Stevecccc

My 2016 R1200RT report

Post by Stevecccc »

Hi all, thought I would start a thread on my brand new fully loaded 2016 R1200RT. I purchased it on 11/11/15 with only the 9 miles I put on it after a test ride. Yes fully loaded with the sound system, key less ride system, locking saddle bags, alarm system, etc. I ware ear plugs so I have no use for the sound system except during pre and post ride I will turn it on sometimes. The clutchless up and down shifting is smooth and finding neutral is a breeze. The only thing I find and maybe its just me but shifting from 1st to 2nd can be a little jerky, seems 1st is very short and I need to get into 2nd by the time you hit 3K on the tach for a smooth transition, after that it seems to shift very well. In Dyna mode and again I am probably not used to it yet and have not found the sweet spot to shift yet it seems when I am near full throttle it shifts a little jerky and hard. After all I only have 250 miles on it so much more experimenting to come. My K1300s shifted like butter when WFO. (wide open throttle), so I am comparing apples and oranges here when it comes to the power band on the R1200RT. Everything works very well, heated grips, heated seat, adjustable windscreen is great, I love this bike so far and plan to put many miles on it in the future. I bought it for a retirement bike so as to have it paid off by the time I retire in about 4 years. I look forward to keeping you all updated and welcome any feedback, Thanks.
Attachments
DSCF3686.JPG
Blue 2016 R1200RT Fully Loaded
Stevecccc

Re: My 2016 R1200RT report

Post by Stevecccc »

I forgot to ask are there moderators here and if so who are they? The K1300s forum I was a member of got heated more than once and people would attack other people there on the stupidest stuff, I just kept to my self and stayed away from conflict there and it all worked out. Very nice group of people there, we even had a meet and greet in Malibu CA with the main web site owner and some of the members, fun times.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you are talking about using Pro shift when changing from 1st to 2nd most if not all of us have found it's  not practical and never smooth. Best to use the clutch and short shift. Same going down, clutch between 2 and 1.  Yes you have too be pulling to change up but the harder you are pulling the more you will feel the change. As for full throttle, wouldn't know as with so much torque available its never necessary.  Glad your enjoying your learning curve.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Stevecccc and welcome to the forum from across the 'oggin!  :)
Just to clarify, did you have to test ride the new 2016 bike that you were going to buy, as opposed to test riding a dealer demo bike prior to purchase? Over here, the customer gets the opportunity (if they so wish) to test ride a fully loaded (generally speaking) low mileage demo bike (RT in this case). Any subsequent purchase of a new RT results in a delivery of a spanking new bike with only a very few miles on the clock.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Stevecccc wrote: I forgot to ask are there moderators here and if so who are they? The K1300s forum I was a member of got heated more than once and people would attack other people there on the stupidest stuff, I just kept to my self and stayed away from conflict there and it all worked out. Very nice group of people there, we even had a meet and greet in Malibu CA with the main web site owner and some of the members, fun times.
The folks on this forum are very cordial
Don't see any bashing
Lots of helpful info
Gonna cost you some $$$ as their are lots of farkles for the RT
think were on same side of pond, Huntington Beach
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

T6pilot wrote: The folks on this forum are very cordial
Don't see any bashing
Lots of helpful info

T6pilot is right Steve.  Everybody on here is very pleasant - as long as you didn't make a mistake with your colour choice!

notnotnot
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

richardbd wrote:
T6pilot is right Steve.  Everybody on here is very pleasant - as long as you didn't make a mistake with your colour choice!

notnotnot

Our gentleman from the colonies made the perfect colour choice, n'est pas ?? ;) :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote:
Our gentleman from the colonies made the perfect colour choice, n'est pas ?? ;) :)

yes - if you want the second fastest one...

:alas: :alas:
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

He probably bought that colour to ride close to the sea,myth know how these yanks rave about their coastal roads :))  only kidding Stevecccc. We are a very friendly bunch and has someone already stated there is a very knowledgeable bunch of guys here who can put you straight if you have a problem or just need advice with your bike. I didn't like the Marino Blue to start with but its getting to me. Welcome :)
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

Steve F wrote: Hi Stevecccc and welcome to the forum from across the 'oggin!  :)
Just to clarify, did you have to test ride the new 2016 bike that you were going to buy, as opposed to test riding a dealer demo bike prior to purchase? Over here, the customer gets the opportunity (if they so wish) to test ride a fully loaded (generally speaking) low mileage demo bike (RT in this case). Any subsequent purchase of a new RT results in a delivery of a spanking new bike with only a very few miles on the clock.

They (the Dealer) let me test ride the bike I was interested in, this was not a demo bike nor do they have demo bikes for test rides ONLY that I am aware of. I would assume that if you wanted to order a brand new bike out of the crate and not the one you test ride you can. It just happen that this bike was fresh out of the crate and I test rode it and bought it with only the shop ride and my miles on it. I did not put any money down that day and they banked on me coming back to purchase it. I did call them a few days later to let them know I would be buying it and again no money down and they held it for me. I bought my K1300s there and have had all my service done there too. I must give them a shout out as they are a excellent dealership in my opinion, THANK YOU! Herwaldt Motorcycles of Fresno CA.

www.herwaldt.com

Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

Hey I like the blue color and yes it matches the blue sea I am so close too, Hmm wait I think the sea here might be green and I didnt see a green one at the dealer, oh well I still like the color
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

RTman10 wrote: If you are talking about using Pro shift when changing from 1st to 2nd most if not all of us have found it's  not practical and never smooth. Best to use the clutch and short shift. Same going down, clutch between 2 and 1.  Yes you have too be pulling to change up but the harder you are pulling the more you will feel the change. As for full throttle, wouldn't know as with so much torque available its never necessary.  Glad your enjoying your learning curve.

I agree.....
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

I had to look it up, yup a newbie

[size=2rem]farkle[/size]
accessory. The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle. Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

T6pilot wrote: The folks on this forum are very cordial
Don't see any bashing
Lots of helpful info
Gonna cost you some $$$ as their are lots of farkles for the RT
think were on same side of pond, Huntington Beach

T6 yes same state but I am in central CA, little town called Exeter between Bakersfield and Fresno, Sun Kiss Orange country
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Stevecccc wrote:
They (the Dealer) let me test ride the bike I was interested in, this was not a demo bike nor do they have demo bikes for test rides ONLY that I am aware of. I would assume that if you wanted to order a brand new bike out of the crate and not the one you test ride you can. It just happen that this bike was fresh out of the crate and I test rode it and bought it with only the shop ride and my miles on it. I did not put any money down that day and they banked on me coming back to purchase it. I did call them a few days later to let them know I would be buying it and again no money down and they held it for me. I bought my K1300s there and have had all my service done there too. I must give them a shout out as they are a excellent dealership in my opinion, THANK YOU! Herwaldt Motorcycles of Fresno CA.

www.herwaldt.com
Ah, alles klar. Dankeschön ! ;)