The new 2016 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rocket Tim

The new 2016 RT

Post by Rocket Tim »

I am going to the Birmingham motorbike show next week to look at the new 2016 bike. As I understand it is now fitted with cornering ABS? ( does anyone know what this actually means, or  what it does in operation? ) and also has a brake light warning system, which as I understand  when braking hard from 50 the brake light flashes and it's still braking hard at 30 it also puts the hazard warnings on? .
Is there any more updates cosmetic or mechanical that you might  know of?.
Not sure whether I should buy a brand new one or wait a couple of months and get an ex demo or or used? , so I do not take the VAT depreciation?.
Looking forward to getting it; it's a big difference from my normal bike; then I might have to change my name to: Two-bikes Tim,
I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.
Cheers for now
guest2360

Re: The new 2016 RT

Post by guest2360 »

Probably the same setup as the S1000. Very useful on the track apparently. As for flashing lights on the dash when your into severe braking. I normally find I have different things to look at when that happens.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW Press Release says, "ABS Pro incl. dynamic brake light available for six models from model year 2016."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/p ... node__6629

"The ABS Pro system will be available as part of the 'Ride Modes Pro' option on the R1200GS, R1200GS Adventure and S1000 XR,
while it will come as standard on the BMW K1600GT, K1600GTL and K1600GTL Exclusive."

ABS Pro incl. dynamic brake light does not appear to be on the 2016 RT.

The only change for 2016 is a new colour, (unless BMW have changed their minds).
"As of model year 2016, the BMW R 1200 RT will be available in Platin bronze metallic.
The existing paint finish Callisto grey metallic matt is no longer available."
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Probably the same setup as the S1000. Very useful on the track apparently. As for flashing lights on the dash when your into severe braking. I normally find I have different things to look at when that happens.

The flashing light is not on the dash as I understand, its the rear brake light that flashes. The brake light flashing under hard braking and hazards is a great idea. In an emergency stop situation, the flashing brake light gives the following driver a wakeup call and hopefully stop him rear ending you. Its a good indication of hard braking. The hazards lights is an additional level of warning. I use hazards on motorways when traffic starts to stop to alert drivers behind me.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Rocket Tim wrote:Not sure whether I should buy a brand new one or wait a couple of months and get an ex demo or or used? , so I do not take the VAT depreciation?.
It probably depends on which model you want, e.g. RT, RT SE or RT LE & whether you want the Comfort, Premium or Dynamic Package plus any other Optional Equipment.

Dealer Demo's are quite often LE "Fully Loaded" Bikes, the used prices will no doubt reflect the spec. of the Bike.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halflife1973

Post by halflife1973 »

I would not buy a demo. I believe there is a reason manufactures have strict run in procedures, a demo bike will probably have been driven hard at the very time in its like that you don't want it to be. No garentee if you buy a used bike it will have been ridden considerately I know, but I would suggest that most people that spend this much on a bike from new are likely to look after it.

I'm sure I will get shot down here from those that have save good money buying ex demo bikes but it is just a personal opinion.

Of course, if you get rid of your bikes every couple of years then that is completely different.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My observations of demo's at my dealer is that they have an easy life.  They are normally run in by the shop staff and are checked on a daily basis by the workshop.  With a very large excess for any damage caused they are treated with care by the riders.  I have never come across a bike that has suffered from the its first 90 days as a demo.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I bought a demo 1600GT
2200 miles on the clock
Got a very good deal on it, warranty actually better than new bike, in terms of months
Rode it 22000 miles till I traded for RT
Zero issues on bike, excluding tires!!!
Jim
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

The demo bikes at my local dealer are certainly well used, and when you overhear interested potential buyers speak of giving the demo bike a good workout, that to me equates to riding it hard. Human psychology of riding/driving vehicles that don't belong to them??  ???  Yes, a sweeping generalisation it may be, but demo bikes ridden genteelly?? Not at all often me thinks. Yes, the dealers endeavour to keep them looking nice and shiny, but aren't they put on sale after about 2000 miles demo use? Therefore, the bike should still look nice and shiny once the workshop have cleaned and polished it and put it back under the showroom lights! It's a case of what you can't see is what would bother me with ex demo bikes, ie internal mechanical wear etc. I hasten to add that I'm probably a bit  OCD on mechanical wear and tear having worked with jet engines for several years!!✈️
Rocket Tim

Post by Rocket Tim »

Well I have been to the show and looked at all the new BMW products spoken to the BMW technical man on the stand and he can't see why they have not put on the RT the latest dynamic pro and brake light system. :not:
So there was no real reason for waiting for the 2016 version apart from a slight colour change there is no difference. :(
Had a long discussion with the team on the BMW owners club and decided to join that, for ideas, rideouts and discounts on certain products; a nice bunch of people.
In the next week I'm going to take the plunge. :))
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

What's likely to be the difference in terms of risk that a low mileage demo has been badly treated by various versus a low miles used one having been given similar treatment by one owner. Theoretically the same guy who trashed the demo for 100 miles could then have bought a new one and trashed that as well, but for 1000 miles.

As RTman says, demo bikes are under daily dealer supervision whearas the used has been used/abused without oversite by anybody other than the owner.

I don't see the same concerns apply when you are talking about a quality set up like BMW and an RT not more than a year old, but hey, I bought a recall which hadn't even got as far as it's first service.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Rocket Tim.  Watch those owner club members. I have been informed they have deep and meaningful discussion 'about exciting things like tyres pressures.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Rocket Tim.  Watch those owner club members. I have been informed they have deep and meaningful discussion 'about exciting things like tyres pressures.

sounds like fun - we'll be back on to nitrogen filled tyres soon!
Rocket Tim

Post by Rocket Tim »

Well I went to my first meeting and there were about 16 people there; the guy I sat next to was very nice and said they should be a few more but they never turned up.
we did not discuss tyre pressures!, but interesting things mainly on early 90s vintage machines, there are lots of things to discuss about big and clearances, chrome Bors  and the advantage of having the better earlier gearboxes then the clunky agricultural gearboxes when selecting first on the modern bikes. The two pints of Bombardier went down very well.
There are a couple of guys with newer machine, but didn't have chance to have a chat with them.
They organise some good ride outs with fellow minded people two places of interest, which I would like to go on.
I would take my Rocket on the odd day out .
I think I will ring around all the dealers, spend a day or so on that Project and see whether I can find one on a HP snatch back or cancelled order, and maybe a dealer who has not made his set quarter target and try and find that elusive bargain!.