Buying New, Demo or Used RT's

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
iRider

Re: Buying New, Demo or Used RT's

Post by iRider »

There Re demo bikes and demo bikes... Your average demo sports bike is out every day getting its nuts thrashed off by lads who never had any intention of buying, they just wanted to "have a go" on the latest crotch rocket.

Your average RT rider is less interested in thrashing the bike and more interested in how it feels and what comfort features do.

Then you come down to mileage, some demo bikes are run from the start of the registration year to the end and mileage can be anything up to several thousand. Others replaced a sold demo bike part way through the registration year and get sold when the riding 'season' ends.

I just bought a 4 month old demo R1200RT LE with 229 miles on it for £2k under the price of the same spec bike new. Prior to this, I always bought new but I have had my eyes opened.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Sounds like 'Right place right time'. Good job.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:When the TCs first appeared, I rode a demo and a very low mileage pre owned, back to back. One buzzed and the other didn't.
Which one was the smoothest, the Demo or the Pre-Owned (Used).

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

k9doc.  Dont try the LC until you are ready to swap.  Otherwise you could end up disappointed with you present steed for too long.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

DaygloDavid wrote:[/size]Which one was the smoothest, the Demo or the Pre-Owned (Used).

The Used bike was buzzy which was particularly obvious as I rode the Demo first which was fine. No suggestions as to possible cause were forthcoming.
RTman10 wrote: k9doc.  Dont try the LC until you are ready to swap.  Otherwise you could end up disappointed with you present steed for too long.

Good advice in line with my own thoughts. Might give it a go in 12 months or so
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

irider.  That's some deal.  Difficult to work out which dealer you got it from.  Your location is Wigan your map shows a few miles south of Inverness. Interesting or are you just taking steiners advice and not clicking on your house.
Demo's must be kept and registered to a dealer for a minimum of 90 days. After that they are normally offered for sale if they can get a replacement. 
iRider

Post by iRider »

What map ??
Last edited by iRider on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: It was one of the dreaded rejects with 400 miles on the clock, so nearly new used

Same for me - best bargain I've ever had as far as bikes are concerned.

I'd tried the RT more than once before, in various air-cooled guises and wanted to love it but coming from a Multistrada, I just found it too gutless - almost asthmatic.  I always got off respecting it but it never made me grin.

The LC is just so different.  I get that the build quality may not be quite what it was but when you come from Ducati, you have a different start point!  The thing for me is the engine.  It's a revelation with all that low-down torque.  I've ridden big twins for years but this has to be the best.  it's just effortless to ride "progressively" and every time I get off this bike, rain or shine, I feel like laughing out loud.  And the thing that makes me laugh the most is that it's supposed to be a pipe-smoking old man's bike. Really???

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And being grey, capable of warp speed. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A new RT LE is £15,950, Cooper Tunbridge Wells have a September 2015 RT LE with 151 miles on it, up for £14,495, a saving of £1,455.

http://www.bmwapprovedusedbikes.co.uk/b ... oyNDY4MjY=
iRider

Post by iRider »

Looks like a low seat on that one. Funny enough mine had the low seat too so they changed it for a std seat off a new one :-)

So mine was 2 months older, has another 70 miles on it and cost me £700 less than that one... RESULT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: And being grey, capable of warp speed.

correct - surprisingly easy to handle at impulse speed too...
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

and....oh, look, last week's MCN with the good 'ol RT as top tourer...again.....in San Marino Blue no less.....!! ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just seen it.  Photographed the blue because the grey ones always come out blurred.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

....what, because the photographer is laughing so hard at the grey blandness, the camera's shaking...!!?? ;)