Best tire for all situations

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Spencert231

Best tire for all situations

Post by Spencert231 »

I have retired (I think) the problem or more a dilemma I suppose is what are the best tires for my intended useage? When I bought the bike I had planned to cover major distances by motorways going to and from UK and France (South West) along with convincing the missus to ride with me as opposed to her riding her own bike. Well since my retirement I will be in France most of the time and my riding is, shall we say unplanned and I find myself up farm lanes or unmaintained roads on occasions.

I can honestly say I have very little confidence in the Z8s and they only have 4577 on them, God knows how I will feel close to 6000?

So what tire choices have I got for the intended riding i.e. farm roads, lanes, D roads and gravel type tracks and occasionally motorway?

Or do I change my bike for something more aligned to an adventure style bike, where I have spent the last 10yrs. This is a dilemma I never thought I would find myself in, not a good place.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Best tire for all situations

Post by k9doc »

Spencert231 wrote: farm roads, lanes, D roads and gravel type tracks and occasionally motorway?
GS with decent road tyres eg PR4s.

TKCs ( https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tkc80+tyres&tbm=shop ) don't suit the RT.
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agree with k9doc.  Don't know why you dislike Z8s though.  I've used nothing else since 2011 on RTs and 1600s. Never had a scary moment (caused by the tyres ) and have always managed about 6K out of them.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Sorry to jump in on your thread  >:D but here is my thoughts on the Z8s...

I am just over 6000 miles on the Z8s and the front now looks like a triangle!  The center has hardly worn and the sides are worn down to the TWI limits.  There is about a 2 to 3 mm drop from the outer edge of the center radial tread 'swirls' to the side rubber.  You can feel this through the bars in slow corners and on roundabouts, along with general instability, when you are running on this section of the tire.  It is also the most pressure sensitive tire I have ever used.
They are not a bad tire (I don't think there is such a thing these days) I'm just not comfortable with them.  Maybe they just don't suit my riding style, I'm going to try PR4GT next.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

k9doc wrote: GS with decent road tyres eg PR4s.

TKCs ( https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tkc80+tyres&tbm=shop ) don't suit the RT.

Thanks for the input and the link I had tested both GS and GSA liked the latter better but liked both. It did become a toss up between RT opted for RT based on my reasoning above, but as they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men". I do like my bike but hate planning and turning around because the road does not look suitable for the RT and its Tupperware.

The tire link is really good thanks.

RTman it may be a physiological, personal thing, I don't know? but I have gone wide on some corners where my previous bikes would have done them more upright this requires more lean than I care for. I have also experienced a severe floating sensation when crossing road repair where the Tarmac has been graded for cutting in new surface, not experienced that ever before on any bike. My tires are good to look at tire pressure checked before riding and even turned around to put air in if lower than recommended.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Sofnolime no need for an apology your inputting is more than welcome I had posted my last response before reading yours, but it would appear we have the same feeling on general instability. I would also agree there is no bad tire out there these days just some not as good as others.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I swapped the original Bridgestones out for P3's and have to say they've been terrific tires. I'll change them out at the 18K Service after 12000 miles which is twice what I normally get!

They've been great in all kinds of conditions and I can't recommend them highly enough.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Tyres have got to suffer from subjectivity I think. My current bike has PR3s and I have to say that I am not impressed. They are low mileage and seem very good on good surfaces in any degree of wetness other than that halfway situation where the surface is barely wet and feels 'greasy'. I think we have probably all been on the surface I'm thinking about and had bum clenching moments as a result.
My rear end has skipped out several times on poorer surfaces( not talking pot holes ) in the dry, especially with significant angles of lean and I find the reaction to banding and white lines some of the most significant that I have experienced. Pressures 36F 42R.

Had PR4s on a GS and FJR and was impressed in both cases.

Probably had more Avons, in their various guises, Azarro ST etc, and have always been well pleased and will probably go back to Avons at new tyre time.

Just my observation FWIW.
Last edited by k9doc on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Crater

Post by Crater »

Worth running two bikes Spencer? You'll take a hit trading in a newish RT. How about a nice second hand Honda CRF 250L?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Firenailer wrote: I swapped the original Bridgestones out for P3's and have to say they've been terrific tires. I'll change them out at the 18K Service after 12000 miles which is twice what I normally get!

They've been great in all kinds of conditions and I can't recommend them highly enough.
+1 on the PR3 tyres. Great grip in all weathers and very durable with approx 8000 miles on my K13GT. The PR4s I fitted afterwards were again excellent in all weathers, but only lasted approx 5000 miles! So, with PR4s fitted from new on my RT, I'm keen to see how long they last!