Humble Pie - Large Slice Please...

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Humble Pie - Large Slice Please...

Post by richardbd »

OK -I'm gonna cave in...

I'm getting bored of the back of my trousers and boots being filthy overtime I ride the RTLC in wet weather.

Looks like the Silverwing conversion kit is the only answer.

Please can somebody (RTMan?) point me in the right direction of the part numbers etc?

:silence: :silence: :silence:
guest2360

Re: Humble Pie - Large Slice Please...

Post by guest2360 »

In Real OEM. Go to Frame and Mounting Parts. Near the bottom of all the bits is Weather protection.  Its not available as a kit, you have to order every last individual bit.  Best to print it off and hand it to your parts man. He will appreciate the help. Can't tell you how good it works. Had mine on for over a year and 5K and it never rained. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just remembered that somewhere on here is the workshop fitting instructions. Easy to fit if you follow them. Not so easy without. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:In Real OEM. Go to Frame and Mounting Parts. Near the bottom of all the bits is Weather protection. Its not available as a kit, you have to order every last individual bit. Best to print it off and hand it to your parts man. He will appreciate the help.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 6638548477
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Just remembered that somewhere on here is the workshop fitting instructions. Easy to fit if you follow them. Not so easy without.
Looks like this thread has all you need to know, http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1140.0.html
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Thanks Chaps,

since I posted, the sun has come out.

Is there also a kit to get rid of the stormy winds too??

;) ;)
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

RTman10 wrote: Just remembered that somewhere on here is the workshop fitting instructions. Easy to fit if you follow them. Not so easy without.

I have just bought this kit from Bristol Motorrad using the parts list supplied - easy and only £107 which is either cheap or I am missing something!!

Does anyone have the correct link to the fitting instructions mentioned?
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

How about this ;)
//SweRT
Attachments
Installation weather prorection R1200RT LC.pdf
(520 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

Brilliant, thanks Swe/RT - off out into the garage right now to clean the bike after a very wet ride and then fit this kit to see what difference it makes for next time!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Might just have been my bike but.  On the two front bits that bolt to the centre stand hanger I had a mighty job to get the bolts all the way in. Ended up shortening  the one on the right.
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

Cheers RTman - these things are good to know before starting!  I will report back - BTW whilst I was at the dealer picking the parts up, I had a chat with a mechanic about fitting all this. He said that when he fitted it all, the moment he pushed the bike off the centre stand, the stand itself flipped up into place and put a large scratch on one panel  :eek:  He described having to fit a grommet to space the panel away from the stand? Again, I will report back and also have my foot on the centre stand!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Forgot it did that, but it only just touches.  It's the bit you put your foot on that touches.  I worked it out it was a bit of roughness on it and a file then a touch of black paint as good as fixed it.  As it's just black plastic and the stand covers any mark when it's up I didn't bother about it. Don't know where he put a grommet. It's just pushed on at the front and bolted solidly to the rear footrest hanger.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

Where in the USA can you get it?????
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Where in the USA can you get it? ??? ?

The kit is genuine BMW.  Should be available from your local friendly dealer.
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

RTman10 wrote: Forgot it did that, but it only just touches. It's the bit you put your foot on that touches. I worked it out it was a bit of roughness on it and a file then a touch of black paint as good as fixed it. As it's just black plastic and the stand covers any mark when it's up I didn't bother about it. Don't know where he put a grommet. It's just pushed on at the front and bolted solidly to the rear footrest hanger.
All fitted in under an hour. Did it with the bike on the side stand which is interesting cus neither the side stand or centre stand came anywhere near the panels???
Another interesting point is that I was supplied with the wrong screw for the centre stand fixing  part code 46638534939 as it was M6 x 25 and not M5 so I reused the old one and it fitted fine!
Last edited by jimmer137 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.