Dunlop RoadSmart III

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
guest2360

Re: Dunlop RoadSmart III

Post by guest2360 »

So off to Scotland one country that is famous for destroying tyres and your tyres are still legal.  How much above the 1mm have you got left?  Remember it's not a place you can easily find replacement tyres.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Did 1,300 miles to Scotland earlier this year (2016),  the front wore by 0.5mm & the rear 1.5mm.

The Melrose trip (not as far North) will be about half this mileage, with 1mm to TWI on the rear, I'm expecting to be OK.

Will only be 115 miles away from home.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: Well I've had a set of Road Smart III's on for just over 3000 miles. Out of the 3 different tyre makes I've had on the RT, Conti's oem, 2 sets of PR4'S & these. Must say the Road Smart III's are the best tyres of the 3 makes. Far quicker turn in then the PR4'S, excellent grip & as good if not better in the wet then the PR4'S. Can't fault them!
Why you need tread in the centre to judge wear puzzles me & surely puts a lot of good tyres off the list to use ???

Unless you are doing back to back on a track, its all a bit subjective. So for them to be better in the wet, was it the same conditions, did the other tyres let go etc, was it the same suspension setting and loads. Was it the same roads. Gnerally for every one who likes x tyres, others will like y. For me the PR4 have been brilliant and I ride all year around, but not a riding god, so probably not on the edge.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Popped into Automoto at Bellerby, Leyburn today to have a Front Roadsmart fitted. Whilst waiting I noticed a new Roadsmart 3 rear on the shelf so I gave it the onceover. Going on looks alone this is one serious tyre. I had to look at the size lettering to confirm it was a 180/55/ZR17 as is looks more like a 190 section. The depth of tread looked a lot deeper than my own nearly new Roadsmart 1 rear. The whole tyre felt very stiff. If they perform as good as they look that may well be the way to go next time.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Whilst waiting I noticed a new Roadsmart 3 rear on the shelf so I gave it the onceover. Going on looks alone this is one serious tyre. The depth of tread looked a lot deeper than my own nearly new Roadsmart 1 rear.
What did you think about the tread pattern & in particular the TWI's for the centre of the tyre.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: What did you think about the tread pattern & in particular the TWI's for the centre of the tyre.
Sorry David. never noticed any TWI's, not saying they are not there I just didn't have then in mind as I oogled the tyre !!. The tread grooves do extend to the centre of the profile so it won't be a problem seeing just how much rubber remains. Personally I never really rely on TWI's as in my opinion by the time any tyre is getting anywhere near a TWI they are junk anyway.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doesn't look like the tread pattern groves (on the rear) go quite to the centre of the tyre but very close to.

Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Whilst waiting I noticed a new Roadsmart 3 rear on the shelf so I gave it the onceover. The depth of tread looked a lot deeper than my own nearly new Roadsmart 1 rear.
Steve at NBT has confirmed that the tread depth, both F&R, on the RS III is the same as that on a RS I, he had them both at 5mm & 7mm respectively.

The tread pattern doesn't go to the centre of the tyre, therefore there is a thin slick bit on the rear.
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just returned from BikeWise at Durham, Dunlop via a local tyre supplier/fitter are offering free fitting on RS III's, until 31st August 2017.

Don't know if this is a national offer or not, might be worth asking if you are in the market for a pair of RS III's.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

At the risk of opening the floodgates on this perennial hot potato (how's that for a metaphor clash?) what's the latest thinking?  My original fit Z8's are just past 4k now and the rear is starting to square.  I'm noticing a more pronounced tramlining over white lines etc, although they have done a bit of that from day 1.  Before this bike I was a Michelin diehard, but what's the latest feeling on PR4GT v RSIII v Pirelli?

Tin hat now in place.  Do your worst.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I went from Z8 to Roadtec 01 fantastic grip in all conditions and great mileage.
R1250RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm obviously not a riding god, I have found no issues whatsoever with grip or handling with the PR4GT, I ride in all weathers all year, and we have just fitted them to our Blood bikes and everyone seems to like them. I would not change on a punt and unless I find an issue I will stick with them. On my second set now.

Saying that, I have had some bad experiences with Avons on my previous non BMW bikes  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Just fitted a set of PR4 GT onto my bike, so looking forward to seeing how they go once scrubbed in.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

daverj wrote: I went from Z8 to Roadtec 01 fantastic grip in all conditions and great mileage.
+1 on that :-) Peter
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Peter Baker wrote: +1 on that :-) Peter

So Z8s do not offer great grip. When do they let go then, what conditions?