My First BMW Motorcycle- Christmas came early!!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Chad E.

My First BMW Motorcycle- Christmas came early!!!

Post by Chad E. »

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the world of BMW motorcycles. I recently purchased a 2008 R1200RT with 5800 miles on it off of eBay. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and a couple of weeks ago I flew out to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to pick it up and ride it on home. I also own a 2007 Harley-Davidson Road King, but wanted something better suited for cross-country travel. I plan on participated in my first IBA ride in the spring next year. A large group of us plan on riding from coast to coast (San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL) in the in less than 50 hours. I felt that I would have the best chance of completing this ride on a BMW R1200RT. I pulled the trigger and ended up with a great motorcycle.

The first time that I sat down on my new motorcycle, I rode it 100 miles. I'm glad that it went well since I bought my R1200RT before ever even sitting on it. My second day of ownership I rode it just over 300 miles from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to Vega, Texas. On Day 3, I journeyed 800 miles from Vega, Texas to St George, Utah. Day 4, I rode just over 300 miles from St George, UT to my home in Salt Lake City, UT. I was so impressed with how well my R1200RT rode and performed. I'm in love! I completed 1500 miles in my first 4 days of ownership! Too bad that it snowed right after I got home and it's been very cold ever since.

I apologize for the long and boring intro, but I look forward to being part of the BMW R1200RT community and discovering more of the beauties of this bike. I've already learned quite a bit from reading your posts on this forum. Thank you! There are so many cool things to add to this motorcycle. It's been a blast so far. I look forward to many adventures.
Attachments
s-l1600 h-2.jpg
Spencert231

Re: My First BMW Motorcycle- Christmas came early!!!

Post by Spencert231 »

Welcome Chad nice to have you on board. Whow! That is some riding you've done in such a short time sounds like a Training Programme in progress for your IBA, best of luck with that one. In my opinion there are so many great things about the RT and I have only recognised two weaknesses: one the seat get flat after a couple of hours; two the dipped beam is not particularly good in comparison to other bikes. Other than that the bike it awesome some others on here may say the windscreen, but I'm 6'1" and I have no issues whatsoever. Enjoy your bike and good luck with your preparation for IBA your a brave man.
hbjones
Bike Model and Year: 2018 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by hbjones »

Welcome Chad...this coming for another newbie with a 2008 R1200RT. 

IBA...sounds interesting.  I will have to google and see what sort of information I can find on that.

-Harold
Phx,AZ
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Welcome Chad - enjoy the bike...
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Congrats on the new bike and welcome aboard! You were pretty close to banging out an SS1000 on day 3, that's where most guys start their Ironbutt travels.

I'm curious about your take on why the Road King isn't a comfortable long distance tourer. I've been looking at them as my shoulders and knees are getting more troublesome on the RT Tours as I'm getting older.

Thanks!