General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Laying Up/Winter Storage

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Out of interest, what does AYB charge?
£70
Sullivj wrote:I wonder what he does that I don't do myself.
Have a look at this thread for details, viewtopic.php?t=8
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks David.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Had my bike done by AYB last month, pretty impressed with the clean and treatment, way better than I would have done myself :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

All ready for the plastics going back on and being tucked away for the winter  :) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bike cleaned and treated with GT85 spray, serviced, SORN'ed, warranty cancelled and tucked away for another winter.
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One debatable question is, what period of time is deemed as laying up/storage. When it comes to using a fuel stabilizer (STA-BIL),  a period of 30 days is quoted. The 1980 Yamaha XJ650 Owner's Manual quotes long term storage as 60 days or more. The BMW RT Rider's Manuals, both 2012 & 2021 give no specified time period.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Now, if you've got a supercar, this might be of interest, https://youtu.be/2X-FwJO1xZM

I've picked out the following from the video which could apply to motorcycles too.

Tyres - pumped up if stored for over 1 month and vehicle moved to prevent flat spots. Or, raise both wheels off the ground.
Battery charger - they use CTEK trickle chargers.
Anti-freeze - % concentration checked.
Cylinders - plugs out & oil in with engine turned occasionally.
Fuel - either drained and replaced with non-ethanol type or STA-BIL added.
Humidity or temperature controlled to prevent condensation, therefore corrosion.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:44 amWithin a brick built garage, (attached to the house), condensation will exist.
Just opened the back garage door to put the batteries on charge and both my bikes are covered in condensation. Never seen it like this before, must be the rapid rise in ambient temperature overnight. Think I'll go and get the blow (pet) dryer out. Shows the value of applying some corrosion protection when stored and perhaps not covering the bike to let it breath. Although the air filter inlets and silencers are sealed off, probably not a bad idea.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

David. wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:41 am Just opened the back garage door to put the batteries on charge and both my bikes are covered in condensation. Never seen it like this before, must be the rapid rise in ambient temperature overnight. Think I'll go and get the blow (pet) dryer out. Shows the value of applying some corrosion protection when stored and perhaps not covering the bike to let it breath. Although the air filter inlets and silencers are sealed off, probably not a bad idea.
Same here, went to out to check to tyre pressures before a trip out tomorrow. Everything on the lower rack shelves was wet. Thought there must be a leak but no, just everything near the concrete floor.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

After blow drying my bikes, there were small puddles of water on the garage floor. It was as if the bikes had been washed and not dried off, unbelievable.

I've still got the fairing panels off the RT, think I'll leave it this way until nearer to the time when I start riding it again. I suppose the panels are like having a cover on a naked bike.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:41 am Just opened the back garage door to put the batteries on charge and both my bikes are covered in condensation. Never seen it like this before, must be the rapid rise in ambient temperature overnight. Think I'll go and get the blow (pet) dryer out. Shows the value of applying some corrosion protection when stored and perhaps not covering the bike to let it breath. Although the air filter inlets and silencers are sealed off, probably not a bad idea.
I'm sure (even as a fair weather rider) your bike will have been wet before. As long as it's not got any corrosive deposits like road salt on it? I'm sure it will be fine with a little moisture. :thumb:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

That really is a strange one, as David well knows my own RT is put to bed not a 100 metres from his own, and yet no sign of any condensation or dampness on the bike or in the garage. (Brick Built and Integral to the house.) Maybe it's down to the garage being cosseted with the 100% Wool Axminster Carpet ! !.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our garage is on the north side of the house which always seems to be the coldest. Only one wall is shared with that of the house and there is an external half glazed rear access door. The pitched tiled roof is uninsulated and does not have ceiling boards. Got carpet tiles on the concrete floor and some carpets on the walls to protect the car and bikes from the brickwork. The bikes are positioned adjacent to an external wall/door and are not protected with any type of cover or dust sheet. There are two bikes and a car in the garage, perhaps reducing the volume of air to circulate around. There is a food freezer in the garage on a shelf, partially above the bikes. The central heating boiler is in the loft space of the house.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've never laid a bike up for winter. They are made to be enjoyed and to get dirty and rusty. Every part is replaceable but enjoyment isn't. ;)
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.