General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Laying Up/Winter Storage

Post by David. »

ACF-50 provides anti-corrosion properties to metals, it can also be used to enhance the appearance of most surfaces including plastics,
knowing that as you wipe over the surfaces, any fixings/fasteners will be protected too.

Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: I've often though about using Snow Foam, AYB use it to good effect for a deep clean, what make do you use & how do you apply it, thanks.

ImageRe: Laying Up/Winter Storage
Ooh, that looks a bit scarey for me David. All that water and soapy stuff possibly getting into places where it shouldn't. Still if you have had it done before it must be ok.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Ooh, that looks a bit scary for me David. All that water and soapy stuff possibly getting into places where it shouldn't. Still if you have had it done before it must be OK.
This will be the second year that I have had AYB treat my 2012 RT with ACF-50, they do warm air dry the Bike before applying the ACF-50 which in itself dispels moisture.

It's very likely I'll be taking out a BMW Extended Warranty from 1st April 2016, when I'll be hitting the start button!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The real trick here is the blow dry. I bought an airforce blaster a few years ago and its probably the best bit of kit for keeping corrosion at bay. Why ? Simply it gets rid of moisture. A clean dry bike won't corrode. However unless you store your bike in a heated garage then its going to attract moisture on those winter damp days and thats were ACF50 does its job to protect a stored bike. If you ride all year as I do then the blaster is great at getting the bike dry quickly after a quick wash. When its cold there is no natural evaporation. The airforce blaster produces a large volume of slightly warm filtered air which will not damage your bike. It gets water out of places which a drying cloth simply cannot do and its this water that can sit there and cause corrosion.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

+1 for the Air Forces Master Blaster great bit of kit, but watch you don't blow the water  deeper into those nooks and crannies.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

May I be so bold as to ask "C'est combien?" for the treatment, that is.
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:May I be so bold as to ask "C'est combien?" for the treatment, that is.
AYB charge £65 for the ACF-50 treatment, Teesside Bikers Forum members get a £5 discount off that price.

Unfortunately, the nearest franchised operator for AYB is Les in North Shields.

Therefore, it's either a trip North through the Tyne Tunnel, or arrange a Home Visit.

Any travelling expenses for Les would have to be added to the Treatment Costs.
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

Just found offer from Bahnstormer Motorrad. Did anyone have used their treatment before? Would the Silver one be comparable with the one offered by AYB?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

AYB do not remove any panels, a question to ask Bahnstormer Motorrad would be, "what method of ACF-50 application do they use".

I would imaging removing the tank on an RT is a very time consuming task.

Steve F wrote:I've just had my R12RT ACF treated by my local dealer (Dick Lovett). They matched the Jefferies (of which thanks for posting their link) price of £49.99. When I quizzed them re application etc, they stated that their workshop initially wash the bike thoroughly, dry off and then brush on the ACF liquid to ensure all relevant nooks and crannies are covered in the goo!
Application by misting/spraying with a lance wasn't an option from my dealer. Although that sounds like a thorough way of applying the goo, needless to say, fairing and panel removals would have to be undertaken (as earlier poster has illustrated). Mind you, how far do you really need to go when 'winterising' this bike? I was initially surprised when my dealer told me that they brush on the liquid goo, but thinking about it, provided that it's brushed on the exposed vulnerable metal surfaces, then that's what really matters, isn't it....?
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenixgb

Post by Phoenixgb »

Im fortunate to ride all year round,  no need to winterize. 
2016 R1200RT, 2015 K1300S (traded)........GB
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

This topic reminds me of this amusing video made by Devon council many years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7b5l62f14 :)
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Removing the tank, especially from the stage shown in David's pictures is simple and quick. Maybe another 10 minutes at most. Although I would not attempt it with a full tank as David describes in his winter layup sceanario. The Fuel connections are quick and simple, then there are 4 screws, the front ones are slackened only then remain in place. Care is needed when repositioning in order not to pinch the Cruise Control cable.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My RT had it's annual ACF-50 treatment yesterday, now all tucked up for the winter.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mine has been put away, clean and dry under a cover in a dry well ventilated unheated garage.  I will plug in the charger once s month for a day or so throughout the winter.  End of story
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Mine got a good ride out through the Surrey hills, down into Sussex yesterday.  Best winterisation I can think of!

Saw 3.5 degrees on the dash but with my Rukka suit, heated grips and seat I was toasty warm.  Didn't even need the heated jacket.