RT sans Audio

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
dlb56

RT sans Audio

Post by dlb56 »

For those new RT's that come without the audio package, what's in place of the speakers and the buttons on the left side?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Re: RT sans Audio

Post by guest2360 »

Nothing.
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

I have what I think is a basic model, grilles are in place.is there's no speakers behind them?.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

crawfordjohn wrote: I have what I think is a basic model, grilles are in place.is there's no speakers behind them?.

Hang on a mo Crawfordjohn you are expecting Herr Beemer to put speakers behind the facade, but you have not paid for the audio system
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As with everything BMW there are exceptions.  Not on the LC but in earlier models you could ask for a factory fit audio prep.  This was speakers, audio cradle in the locker and the antenna, period.  No wiring, no switches no nothing.  It cost more to retro fit the audio unit than to opt for the lot to start with.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

crawfordjohn wrote: I have what I think is a basic model, grilles are in place.is there's no speakers behind them?.

What year is your bike Crawfordjohn? Following in on from what RTman10 is saying and I would bank on it being 100% correct, you may have speaker behind the grills, but the question is what year is your baby's?
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Think you posted elsewhere that you have a 64 plate, so its a No, but try taking the covers off to be sure.
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

Spencert231 wrote:
Hang on a mo Crawfordjohn you are expecting Herr Beemer to put speakers behind the facade, but you have not paid for the audio system
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

My apologies if you feel I have offended you that was not my intention. You will find that amongst the truly valuable information given on the forum there is also tongue in cheek humour. The point I was trying but failed to get over was BMW charge extra money for extra components and has RTman pointed out there was a time when BMW would have put speakers behind the grills, but not any more and he should know. Having now had to explain myself the humour has left me now :beer: :beer: :beer:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert.  Made me smile.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Yes made me smile as well, Offensive! I just thought Spencer 231 was just pointing out a fact.

But having said that I aren't signed up to this offensive culture thing 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert.  Think it's safe to come out from behind the sofa now. 
iRider

Post by iRider »

Blimey Crawfordjohn, if you think that was offensive you better stay clear of some of the other forums mate  :beee:  As for the speakers, it must have literally taken you longer to type your question and take offence at a reply than it would have taken to take out the two screws and look for yourself (Sarcasm intended but no offence intended)  8)
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

The speaker covers actually annoy me a bit if only because I constantly have to explain why I have speaker covers when I don't have speakers because I don't have a radio, but if I did, that's where they would go.

I am sure I saw somewhere that an owner had replaced the 2 screws securing the speaker covers with quick release butterfly screws, enabling the use of the pretty large voids behind the covers to be used for storing small items/extra tools etc.

iRider

Post by iRider »

I know what you mean BMjoe64, I'm surprised none of the after market plastics people  have though to meek complete replacement glove box type units with a built in door to replace the speaker covers that don't cover speakers. Likewise with the empty space on the opposite side to the actual glove box type thing.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.