Riding with Highway Pegs

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Chad E.

Riding with Highway Pegs

Post by Chad E. »

Hi,

I've been an RT rider for about a month now. I have purchased the Ztechnik engine guards for my motorcycle. I'm debating whether or not to purchase highway pegs to attach to my engine guards. I've got my eyes on the highway pegs made by Ilium Works. They are a little bit spendy, but look well designed and highly functional. I've only owned cruisers up until now. I have noticed that the riding position on the RT is more upright than on a cruiser. I plan on doing some real long rides on my RT. Do many of you ride with highway pegs? Are they beneficial on a sport tourer? Are they comfortable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chad
Spencert231

Re: Riding with Highway Pegs

Post by Spencert231 »

It's not something us Brits or Europeans use much, for Brits probably because we have so many round a outs and our motorways are not as straight and endless like those in the states. I can't comment on those in the other parts of Europe, but again they are few and far between. You may want to checkout the Accessories part of this forum there maybe something on there. Best of Luck
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Chad E. wrote: Hi,

I've been an RT rider for about a month now. I have purchased the Ztechnik engine guards for my motorcycle. I'm debating whether or not to purchase highway pegs to attach to my engine guards. I've got my eyes on the highway pegs made by Ilium Works. They are a little bit spendy, but look well designed and highly functional. I've only owned cruisers up until now. I have noticed that the riding position on the RT is more upright than on a cruiser. I plan on doing some real long rides on my RT. Do many of you ride with highway pegs? Are they beneficial on a sport tourer? Are they comfortable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chad

I've had the Ilium Works on 2 RTs now, and wouldn't ride without them.  I have bad knees and need options to change leg position from time to time.
Attachments
farkle2.jpg
farkle1.jpg
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi mercator1,  how easy were they to fit,  do you need additional fittings or are they sold in a kit form ect ?
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

They just come ready to bolt on.  Can't comment on ease, as dealer did it with engine bars, bar risers, etc.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

mercator1 wrote: They just come ready to bolt on. Can't comment on ease, as dealer did it with engine bars, bar risers, etc.
Thanks mercator1,  as they come in kit form , I guess then they  probably bolt straight on....... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

stelyn wrote: Thanks mercator1,  as they come in kit form , I guess then they  probably bolt straight on....... ;)
I think you just pull the cotter pin on the old pegs and replace with boards, re-insert pin.