Cover

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BMjoe64

Cover

Post by BMjoe64 »

Have decided I might get a cover for my RT, but want to make sure I get a good one/right size.
I would stress that I primarily want to have it covered in the garage as it is rarely parked outside overnight, but it might be that I would be best getting an all weather one.

Anyone have a suggestion as to most suitable based on experince of using one ?
guest2360

Re: Cover

Post by guest2360 »

I have a cover, not waterproof but meant to keep the dust off inside.  It was made to fit a 1200GS with panniers but it's  a good fit on the LC.  Covers for something like the present GSA should be much easier to source .   
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Here's one with BMW written all over it, therefore, it must be the best, http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121554
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Nelsonrigg makes some nice covers at reasonable prices
Jim
iRider

Post by iRider »

Oxford Stormex is a good fit, strong, waterproof and padded with a none scratch liner.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have an "Oxford" waterproof which I only use when on long trips away. Also it keeps the tree sap off when parked up in deepest Provence. When the bike is in my garage at home I prefer a couple of old bed sheets as they do breath.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Recently got one of these.  Like it so far.  The zip up back makes getting into the bags easier, if you forget something.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GV ... ge_o03_s00
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

And I carry one of these when out riding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VV ... ge_o03_s00
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Why???
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Well, I would say Mercator carries one because it will keep rain off switch gear, pools of water will not form in those big seats, alleviate the task of drying everything down in the morning, keep dust off when parked up in dusty places and prevent tree sap settling on paintwork. That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more !!.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nice to see you are not offended by the Why??. But.  Rain overnight washes off the days muck and stretching a cover over a dirty screen can cause damage.  Then you've  got to do something with the wet cover when you move on.  I carry a small micro fibre towel.  Dries all the vital parts out in a couple of minutes and wrings nearly dry instantly. The dust that's left stays on till I get home. Merry Christmas.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

RTman10 wrote: Nice to see you are not offended by the Why??.
Maybe he hasn't seen your post yet !!.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I carry a small micro fibre towel.  Dries all the vital parts out in a couple of minutes and wrings nearly dry instantly. The dust that's left stays on till I get home.

+1

;)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote:
Why???

Why what?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: Nice to see you are not offended by the Why??. But.  Rain overnight washes off the days muck and stretching a cover over a dirty screen can cause damage.  Then you've  got to do something with the wet cover when you move on.  I carry a small micro fibre towel.  Dries all the vital parts out in a couple of minutes and wrings nearly dry instantly. The dust that's left stays on till I get home. Merry Christmas.

First of all, I usually clean my screen at stops plus, if you live in Alabama, and ride in 105F temps, coming out of a restaurant and getting on a bike that has been sitting in a fixed position in the sun for an hour can be brutal.