Stripped threads on the screen mounting rails

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Stripped threads on the screen mounting rails

Post by Our Gee »

adewhitmarsh wrote: I have heard that the two screen support brackets can snap,is this due to fitting larger screens ?? I saw on a Web site you can replace them with stainless steel brackets.any boy fitted them ??
Yup, I have. Same pair been on my last two RT's. I obtained them from a chap in Canada about 6 years ago when I fitted the larger version of the Z Technik Screen.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having tried a couple of Cee Baileys Windshields on both my 2007 & 2010 RT's, one problem I found was that sometimes the Actuator (motor) wouldn't drive the screen up & down when travelling at certain speeds.

My concern was causing damage to the Actuator (electrically overloading it) & support brackets, therefore "ditched" the idea & reverted back to the stock screen.

Surely BMW R&D plus Wind Tunnel testing of aerodynamics etc. would come up with the ideal solution.

Decided that if I wanted to be cosseted behind a windscreen, I'd take the car.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

DaygloDavid wrote: Surely BMW R&D plus Wind Tunnel testing of aerodynamics etc. would come up with the ideal solution.
You would've thought so, wouldn't you...!!  ??? Obviously not so for two wheels...four wheels maybe!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Surely BMW R&D plus Wind Tunnel testing of aerodynamics etc. would come up with the ideal solution.
Perhaps they do, but not very well,
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/p ... =P90059274
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Having tried a couple of Cee Baileys Windshields on both my 2007 & 2010 RT's, one problem I found was that sometimes the Actuator (motor) wouldn't drive the screen up & down when travelling at certain speeds.

My concern was causing damage to the Actuator (electrically overloading it) & support brackets, therefore "ditched" the idea & reverted back to the stock screen.

Surely BMW R&D plus Wind Tunnel testing of aerodynamics etc. would come up with the ideal solution.

Decided that if I wanted to be cosseted behind a windscreen, I'd take the car.
Well, my Z Technik screen, the larger version,  has been fitted to both my RT,s and I have never had a problem raising or lowering the screen whilst riding. That said, common sense tells me not to attempt operating it at "certain speeds".

BMW R and D plus wind tunnel testing probably did come up with the ideal solution but no doubt the chaps in the "Does it look Cool" department gave it the thumbs down and settled for the Neat and Cool but not very effective appearance of the stock screen.

As far as being "cosseted" behind my Z Tech, well I just love it and if I do want to feel the blast of nature I can always lower the setting. At a sensible speed of course !!.

Still, we are all different, so each to his own.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.