Stripped threads on the screen mounting rails

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Bikerman1042

Stripped threads on the screen mounting rails

Post by Bikerman1042 »

In order to clean the lower portion of the screen on the 2014-15 R1200RT you have to remove the black plastic tapered covers on the lover part of the screen. So farr so good
When you replace the after removing the screen and remounting it, the threads on the rails securing the covers and screen strip. This is due to corrosion of the die cast material the rails are made of
To me the only cure is to purchase a helicoil kit for less than £10 and drill out the metal and fit a helicoil. The alternative is to replace the rail(s) at enormous cost for the problem to recur
If you wish to clean the lower part of the screen it must be removed as to attempt to force a chamoir leather or cloth down the restricted space will inevitable result in a broken screen
I intent to helicoil all the threads to cure this problem
Bikerman1042
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Stripped threads on the screen mounting rails

Post by T6pilot »

Removed my factory shield to install "Werks" system
Even on a new bike some difficulty with screws, simple solution is some silicone grease on both screws and threaded portion, no problems reinstalling windshield screws since
When drying windshield after the bikes bath, I turn ignition on, run shield up to full height micro towels then fit fine
My only experience with helicoils is they work best for a bolt that is not going to be removed often
Jim
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

A similar problem can occur on the pre WC RT. I experienced this on our Twincam although not on our hexhead which has the same alloy mounting rails. I put it down to "overtightening" and not enough thread "engagement" provided by the standard screws. This can be easily solved without going down the Helicoil route by fitting longer than standard screws which pass right through the stripped portion of the alloy rail to engage in the "good" thread remaining. The screws I obtained from Kayfast on e-bay are M5 X 25 Long A2 Stainless Steel Flanged Button Head and are almost identical to the BMW screws. Only difference being they Hex drive instead of Torx.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Of the hundreds if not thousands of RTs I dealt with as a parts manager in a dealership I never ever came across anybody who had managed to strip the thread on the screen mountings. As for cleaning the lower part, as T6pilot says just slide a thin micro cloth through with the screen all the way up.  I use a piece of folded paper kitchen towel. The possibility of damaging the screen doing that is zero. 
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

RTman10 wrote: Of the hundreds if not thousands of RTs I dealt with as a parts manager in a dealership I never ever came across anybody who had managed to strip the thread on the screen mountings. 

Well, now you know of two that have. Your own experience is probably due to the fact that the vast majority of screens never ever come off during the bikes life so the integrity of the screw to carrier rail is never compromised. Whereas it would seem that the owners who remove screens for cleaning or even up-grading to a more effective screen (as in my own case) could be at risk of damaging the carrier threads.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Of the hundreds if not thousands of RTs I dealt with as a parts manager in a dealership I never ever came across anybody who had managed to strip the thread on the screen mountings. As for cleaning the lower part, as T6pilot says just slide a thin micro cloth through with the screen all the way up.  I use a piece of folded paper kitchen towel. The possibility of damaging the screen doing that is zero.

That's what I do too.  Seemed somehow easier than drilling out the screw-holes...

:)) :)) :)) [size=78%] [/size]
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

RTman10 wrote: Of the hundreds if not thousands of RTs I dealt with as a parts manager in a dealership I never ever came across anybody who had managed to strip the thread on the screen mountings. As for cleaning the lower part, as T6pilot says just slide a thin micro cloth through with the screen all the way up.  I use a piece of folded paper kitchen towel. The possibility of damaging the screen doing that is zero.
With the greatest and most humblest respect. I never overtightened the scress.  The thread picked up when Iunc=screwed the bolt.  The thread depth had disappeared due to erosin and the action of water and possibkle detergent.  I hav been re[aitiong cars and bikes for over 50 years and I am very awar ei fth fargiity of die cst and threads. 
I do thank you though for your comments and contribution. I will helicoil all the bolt holes to ensure sage anf certain removal and refitting of the screen
My thanks aloso to all you guys out there who contributed

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And the detergent you use is what?  If it was that I would suggest you look very carefully at all the machined alloy points like fork fittings and the areas round the rubber gaiters on the drive shaft.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

I too have a stripped thread on my 2013 RT. I've only taken the screen off twice since purchasing.
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

To reiterate my post at reply No 2 I think that the problem is not enough thread engagement with the standard screws. The Thread in the alloy mounting rail is tapped right through but the standard screw only engages in about a third of the available length. Longer screws would prevent this problem.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Catfunt wrote: I too have a stripped thread on my 2013 RT. I've only taken the screen off twice since purchasing.
My bike is a late 2014, and I took possession in late November this year.  The base of the screen was quite dirty and I was advised by the dealer to remove the screen which I did.
the lower near side screw picked up the threads on the way out. I have ordered a helicoil kit and I intend to helicoil all the screw threads to cure the problem once and for all.
years ago, all aluminium casings were coiled especially those on the 2200 series Austin Princesses

dave y

Post by dave y »

I had the same issue with one of the four screws when I had to remove the screen to pull the instruments.

Replaced with a longer screw and found plenty of thread engagement.  Problem solved.

Dave

Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

dave y wrote: I had the same issue with one of the four screws when I had to remove the screen to pull the instruments.

Replaced with a longer screw and found plenty of thread engagement.  Problem solved.

Dave
Hey !!. Iv'e already said that. >:(
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, you certainly did !  ;) What really disappoints me is this is yet another cock-up from a world renowned engineering company that fails to address the most basic engineering principles and practices...!!  :nif:
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have heard that the two screen support brackets can snap,is this due to fitting larger screens ?? I saw on a Web site you can replace them with stainless steel brackets.any boy fitted them ??