Motorcycle Tour Operators or DIY

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Motorcycle Tour Operators or DIY

Post by Talisker »

We (my wife and I) used an MTO for route 66 a good few years ago, they were good and gave us the confidence to go it alone. Ever since then we've done DIY.  Booking accommodation and GPS are easier and better these days.  We also prefer our own agenda, infinitely preferable to waiting for less organised riders get ready in the morning!
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

I’ve done seven tours with Edelweiss and highly recommend them. For me, it’s worth the money every time.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Been touring since the late 80's. initially in France generally camping but taking a cheap motel every few nights. In those days we headed south without any real plans, making considered route decisions the night before with the assistance of plenty of cheap wine, and stopping at about 4pm each day to find somewhere to sleep.
After I retired we strayed further afield to Greece via France and Italy, returning through Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, France and home. It took 5 weeks and we covered about 5.5k miles. We started researching a route and booking hotels about six months before, so we would always be sure of a decent bed and safe parking. Since then we've re-visited Greece and Italy many times planning different routes and destinations each time, and have always found the planning and searches to be a vital and enjoyable part of the holiday. I have also planned and taken a group of riders on trips, but they were all friends so there was no problems or conflicts. 
Although breakdowns are rare dealer networks are generally excellent throughout Europe, and the one problem we have had was resolved within an hour in Italy.
Our choice would always be a DIY, we're not unsocial but prefer to make our own way by ourselves.
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

emlevy wrote: I’ve done seven tours with Edelweiss and highly recommend them. For me, it’s worth the money every time.

Must be nice to have that much money to burn. In looking at several trips, looks like the average is $3-$4 per mile. Forking out $5000 so someone else can dictate my schedule is definitely not for me. To top it off, you might be paying thousands to ride with people you don't even like. Too much of a gamble for me. I'll go DIY.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Some are money rich and time poor, fully understand them using organised as best option. Also benefit of experiance and routes, places to visit and local knowledge. For me its reverse and prefer to do it myself but im touring Europe if i was to go further afield to more remote part of the world would definitely look at guided tour.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

I know some people struggle if they have to think about booking accommodation as well as planning routes, if this is you and want some certainty in your first tour abroad but want some freedom as well, I can recommend the Britanny Ferries tours, we did the Britanny tour last year and really enjoyed it, 6 nights b&b return ferry all for £750, what's not to like
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

If you want to do the irish road races (when they are back on....) you could do worse than use these guys https://highlandrider.co.uk/ very well organised, plenty to do and plenty of time to do your own thing as well.