Well, crap. Laid it over.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Crater

Re: Well, crap. Laid it over.

Post by Crater »

Is there something about the size of the RT? I've never felt quite so nervous before about falling over on a bike at slow speed or a stop. I'm six foot and I can get both feet flat on the ground so it's not that. I wonder if it's something to do with the width-I can't remember having similar worries with narrower bikes, even if they were heavier.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Visit your local dealer, take a K1600 for a demo ride.  After that your RT will feel as stable as a trike.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

it is without doubt a great bike to ride and so nimble that we may create a sense of falls security in our mind up to the point of putting our feet down and then the true weight of the bike is recognised. Those that are shorter in the leg will find it difficult especially if the camber is steep or road surface gritty. I don't think there is any one answer why some are nervous about various situations or the feel of lack of total control.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You could argue that a feeling of total control could get boring.  A little bit of fear is a good thing and keeps the concentration up.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: You could argue that a feeling of total control could get boring.  A little bit of fear is a good thing and keeps the concentration up.

+1
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: Visit your local dealer, take a K1600 for a demo ride.  After that your RT will feel as stable as a trike.

Actually, I toyed with the idea of the K16GT before deciding on the RT.  My old RT just had so much better wind protection, but I love the bike in this picture more than I can say.
Attachments
blue.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The pic is of the 1600 Sport.  Sport bit is a short screen and graphics.  I remember them turning up and them bring recalled by BMW. Never seen one since.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: The pic is of the 1600 Sport.  Sport bit is a short screen and graphics.  I remember them turning up and them bring recalled by BMW. Never seen one since.

I've seen plenty of the Sahkir Orange ones out there for sale.  Not sure what would make the sport get recalled and not the others, since it's just a cosmetic package.  This blue is a 2016 color, I think.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mercator1 wrote:This blue is a 2016 color, I think.
The K 1600 GT Sport in Blue is indeed in the 2016 Model Brochure.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be nobody buys them in Derbyshire. As you said weather protection is not brilliant and with a small screen!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mercator1 wrote:Actually, I toyed with the idea of the K16GT before deciding on the RT. My old RT just had so much better wind protection.
Your old RT (which year) had much better wind protection than what, the K16GT and/or RT (new).
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Here's one I made earlier, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1cUAadXkg

Dang, that's beautiful.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Your old RT (which year) had much better wind protection than what, the K16GT and/or RT (new).

My '05 model had better wind protection than the K16 that I rode, but it turns out it was better than my new RTW also.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

mercator1 wrote:
My '05 model had better wind protection than the K16 that I rode, but it turns out it was better than my new RTW also.

As we all know, wind protection is such a personal issue - height, body-length, helmet choice etc. all play a big part.

I was also disappointed in the wind (and rain) protection on my RTLC.  It was far worse than my Multistrada.  To be fair though, I'd added a Cal-Sci screen and some Australian winglets to the MTS and the result was amazingly peaceful to ride.

I fitted the BMW comfort screen to the RT and find it to be a big improvement.  It keeps me quite and dryer (around the shoulders particularly).  Still not as good as my MTS though...