Well, crap. Laid it over.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mercator1

Well, crap. Laid it over.

Post by mercator1 »

Stopped on a cold ride today to go through an historic old covered bridge. The weird surface inside was ok, but when I got to the other side, the road immediately intersected and had a stop sign.  I was going to turn right after the stop, but the road at the "T" was uphill and sloping hard to the right.  I thought I was going to keep it upright, but the traffic stopped quickly, and I had no place to plant my foot.  Dammit.

The Wunderich bar protected the engine, but the painted surface of the right bag got mucked up pretty good. A little scuff on the black part of the clam shell, but I think I can detail that away. The mirror housing got a little bit of rash too.

Anyone know if just the painted part of the pannier lid can be purchased?

Although my 5'9" height has always been challenging with the RT, I never felt like it was too much for me.  Not until the moment it was obvious I couldn't keep it upright.
guest2360

Re: Well, crap. Laid it over.

Post by guest2360 »

Painted bit is easy to replace , it's just screwed on.  Not cheap though.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: Painted bit is easy to replace , it's just screwed on.  Not cheap though.

Can it be purchased painted already, or just in primer?  Can't tell from the online parts listings.  Could see if the guy who painted my top box can fix it.  He'd have to use a little filler for the rash.  Just as soon suck it up and replace it.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

That's an unlucky one Mercator - and one we've all done at some stage.

Glad it's only a couple of plastic bits that were hurt...

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote: That's an unlucky one Mercator - and one we've all done at some stage.

Glad it's only a couple of plastic bits that were hurt...

Well, my right hip isn't feeling too good.... :)

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Did the same thing when I had my 1600
Top portion of cover was resprayed for $150 ouch
Bottom portion, black, I covered with factory case protectors, about 150 for both sides
Mirror was about 100
Plus clutch lever 60
Expensive let off
My new RT has case savers
Jim
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

T6pilot wrote: Did the same thing when I had my 1600
Top portion of cover was resprayed for $150 ouch
Bottom portion, black, I covered with factory case protectors, about 150 for both sides
Mirror was about 100
Plus clutch lever 60
Expensive let off
My new RT has case savers
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A new one in that colour is going to cost.  On the 1600s with no graphics they cost the same as a complete lid on the old ones which is about £250. I discovered that as well as being able to protect the black bit for next to nothing, in my case £9.99 in Halfords, the chrome strip as fitted to the 1600 GTL protects the paintwork.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

That's tough luck Mercator, what about your insurance ?.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Sorry to read about the `spill' Mercator,  but your OK,  and at least the Bike can be repaired.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

That's tough luck, sorry to hear it.
I keep deliberating about protection for this sort of incident which can catch us all out in the wrong circumstances.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Unlucky Mercator after no such bad luck I was riding last Wednesday around the French countryside on unfamiliar roads which to say the least were challenging and very interesting. I got to a junction in a small hamlet coming off a clean road onto a newly surfaced road with grit where I had to do a tight 90 degree right turn with a blind approach pulled away and had front and back end twitch and squirm, I did not have my revs up due to grit and then opened it up slightly and shut off due to squirming and came close to stalling, not a nice place to be. After 15 months of owning the bike this has got to be the closest to dropping it that I care to be. Lady Luck was with me that day
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Our Gee wrote: That's tough luck Mercator, what about your insurance ?.

If it ends up being $500-700 total, then it would just barely meet the deductible.  Wouldn't be worth the hassle of filing a claim.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

At my height, the bike always been challenging for me, but I never felt like it was too much until this incident.  I guess it'll pass, but it has me considering something shorter like the F6B, which is what I was considering before I bought the new RT.  I'd take a beating on trade with the bike only being 4 months old.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

As has been said earlier, most of us have had those frustrating minor spills, and the 20/20 hindsight is also a great thing too as we all know!