Which Nav Unit??

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
odiethedog

Which Nav Unit??

Post by odiethedog »

I'm new here, Only just bought my first R1200RT hasn't even been delivered yet.

It doesn't come with Sat-Nav but I want one fitted. I don't use a smart phone so it has to be a stand alone Nav Unit....

Thanks
guest2360

Re: Which Nav Unit??

Post by guest2360 »

What year RT have you got/getting
odiethedog

Post by odiethedog »

RTman10 wrote: What year RT have you got/getting

Should have mentioned that, It's a 2011.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You have the option of fitting what you want just about.  All Garmin units will fit the BMW mounting bar.  The 660 seems popular as does the BMW Nav V at a price. The V and the previous Nav IV along with the 660 are the only ones that will fit in any present model cradle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
odiethedog

Post by odiethedog »

RTman10 wrote: You have the option of fitting what you want just about. All Garmin units will fit the BMW mounting bar. The 660 seems popular as does the BMW Nav V at a price. The V and the previous Nav IV along with the 660 are the only ones that will fit in any present model cradle.
So Garmins a more OEM fit / look
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: You have the option of fitting what you want just about.  All Garmin units will fit the BMW mounting bar.  The 660 seems popular as does the BMW Nav V at a price. The V and the previous Nav IV along with the 660 are the only ones that will fit in any present model cradle.

or you could go with the people's favourite (and greatest bike satnav of all time) the Garmin Zumo 550 - if you can find one.  They're a modern classic and much cherished by their owners - as RTMan will confirm...

;) ;) ;)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Got a Garmin Zumo 660 fitted to a 2012 RT using the BMW GPS Mount.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My final word on the 550, promise.  It was launched in July 2007 making it quite old tech in the GPS world.  I wonder how much longer Garmin will support it as they normally give up on stuff after about 10 years.  Lots of them available on Ebay starting at about £100.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

No mention of TomTom, just Garmin & BMW (made by Garmin),  are there any other motorcycle Sat. Nav. manufacturers.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid wrote: Got a Garmin Zumo 660 fitted to a 2012 RT using the BMW GPS Mount.
Ditto - 600 LMD A nice piece of kit, and can be picked up cheap as they are now a `discontinued model ', plenty of Dealers on the internet.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No mention of TomTom, just Garmin & BMW (made by Garmin), are there any other motorcycle Sat. Nav. manufacturers.

I know a few who use TomTom units.  Don't think they are quite as easy to pair with the BMW mounting kit.  I have been told they can import BaseCamp data.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The "Sat Nav Debate" website's favourite is the TomTom Rider, followed by the Garmin Zumo 660.

http://www.satnavdebate.co.uk/best-moto ... in-tomtom/

Don't know whether TomTom have the likes of Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp for building routes up etc. on your PC.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: I know a few who use TomTom units. Don't think they are quite as easy to pair with the BMW mounting kit. I have been told they can import BaseCamp data.
Spot on RTman10,  I sold my TomTom for that very reason and bought the Garmin, much more `user friendly' for the BMW.... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Don't know whether TomTom have the likes of Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp for building routes up etc. on your PC.
I understand that "TyreToTravel" http://www.tyretotravel.com/ can be used with either TomTom or Garmin, perhaps not as user friendly as Garmin's own PC based software.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I tried TyreToTravel once, or tried to. My personal opinion, junk.