Corrosion

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Corrosion

Post by guest2360 »

Front of the engine looks bad but then so do the bolts and the exhaust.  3 different materials,  Couple of questions.
Where is it stored. What do you clean it with. What's the mileage.
Have you shown it to your dealer yet?
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

DaygloDavid wrote: Yes, I use ACF-50, have it professionally applied once a year by All Year Biker in the UK, http://allyearbiker.co.uk/

All Year Bikers Halo Smart Clean treatment video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXXetSfHDdk

The Missiden Flyer's bike cleaning video is very similar:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZcP7KQ0mG0

Paid a visit to 'All Year Bikers UK' the other week as their shop is on the same estate as 'Airstream' who were fitting the paint protection kit to my RT. Spoke with the manager and he explained the halo deep clean process and detailing work they offer. I was most impressed.
Woody

Post by Woody »

RTman10 wrote: Front of the engine looks bad but then so do the bolts and the exhaust.  3 different materials,  Couple of questions.
Where is it stored. What do you clean it with. What's the mileage.
Have you shown it to your dealer yet?

Its done 14000 miles. Stored in a garage. Dealer says it not been looked after - which is entirely wrong, always been washed with recommended BMW products and polished. I think its shocking! Looking on other forums there seems to be a big problem . .
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have seen this level of corrosion before on an 1150.  Owner kept it in a heated garage and always washed it before putting it away. 
You say recommended cleaning products.  Which ones. 
As for your dealer.  I would request him to photograph the corrosion and pass it to BMW for their decision . Don't understand the exhaust though, never seen any go that colour all over. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:Paid a visit to 'All Year Bikers UK' the other week as their shop is on the same estate as 'Airstream'.
Where is the AYB UK shop.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

DaygloDavid wrote: Where is the AYB UK shop.

Chigwell, Essex. But on reflection this place must have been a dealer not the actual UK shop! Nice set-up though.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:Chigwell, Essex. But on reflection this place must have been a dealer not the actual UK shop!
Thanks, looks like they are a franchised operator for AYB products & treatments, http://www.bikedryer.co.uk/
Last edited by David. on Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Levisp wrote:
WD40 is only a water displacement product it will wash off quickly and as far as I know was never designed to prevent corrosion. IMHO ACF50 is a far better product. It was designed to protect US aircraft on aircraft carriers from the salty environment. I think a common mistake people make is they get their bikes protected by ACF50 and presume that it will be good for a year. ACF50 will wash off in time. So any part of a bike exposed to the elements will become unprotected. These areas need ACF50 to be reapplied.

You're right - it was never designed to be a corrosion inhibitor ... but dispelling the water and leaving a film of oil seems to work.  Over the decades of all year round biking, I've tried several products and always go back to WD40.  Applied regularly, it seems to keep corrosion at bay.  Just my experience.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

DaygloDavid wrote: Thanks, looks like they are a franchised operator for AYB products & treatments, http://www.bikedryer.co.uk/

Yes that's them.
Crater

Post by Crater »

I had a R1200S which had the front discs, all the fasteners at the front end and both sliders replaced after 12 months because of corrosion. Cannons at Braintree were excellent and I couldn't fault them. I was telling a motorcyclist friend about it and singing BMW's after sales service when he pointed out that had I bought a Honda I wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.
Remember the BMW bricks? They seemed to fade when they got old, never rust.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Woody wrote:
Looking on other forums there seems to be a big problem . .
No there isn't
I am on quite a few forums and this is hardly mentioned.
Biggest discussions and topics are around: Clunky shifting, Quick Shift, Bluetooth pairing, leaking radiator fluid out of LHS overflow hole.......
2014 R1200RT-LC