Windscreen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Fosningen

Windscreen

Post by Fosningen »

Hello. Planning to put a new windscreen on my rt lc. Someone tried the screen from Puig?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen

Post by richardbd »

I've got the BMW comfort screen, which I like.

Hardly any taller but the extra width makes it quieter, dryer and warmer...
PETER 152

Post by PETER 152 »

I have just fitted a 26in Quiet Ride windshield from the USA. Very impressed with it 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I bought the standard 24 inch
Quite ride about 4 months ago
Best money I've spent on a bike
Wind and rain are directed away from you, it's what a Bmw should have from factory
Jim
Boxercup

Post by Boxercup »

Has anyone onhere tried the V stream Z Technik sold in uk by bmw-windshields.co.uk ?
They are made by Nationcycle in USA who I believe supply the OEM screens to BM.  Blurb looks pretty impressive.
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

Can I just ask you both how tall you are - I am 6'0 tall with 33" inseam and like to ride with my visor open if possible. Can you really ride with the quiet ride windscreen lower than stock and is it as quiet as claimed. Is there any advantage to the 26", I don't particularly like looking through the screen. I have the standard seat set to the lower position.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

6 ft
32" inseam
No buffeting at all reasonable speeds, only had it to 100mph, directs water away
Jim
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

Thanks T6  :)
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Hello “northerner” (Fosningen),no feedback about Puig?

You may find many threads regarding this topic as well as many personal views of which one is the best windshield. OEM comfort shield, Wunderlich, V-Stream, Powerbronze, CEE Baileys, Givi …and now also Werks Quite Ride and the shield from Puig. I have no personal experience with any of these but is also an avid follower of these discussions
The two that popped up recently, Werks with many positive reviews from several forum members mainly in US
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/1 ... hield.html
and Puig with at least some guys who has recently installed and reported same positive impression on the German site
http://www.rt-freunde.de/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=75
have both the same design with the flip/bend on top of the shield but the Puig screen seems to be both wider and longer than the Quite Ride. The Puig screen is available from several distributors at this side of the pond while Werks unfortunately still seems to only be available directly from the US and at the twice price.
I had an aftermarket windshield with the flip design on my previous ST1300 that made my riding position very quite but that change made it also necessary (at least for our combination of lengths and sitting positions, rider vs. passenger) to add some extra wind deflectors on the mirrors to make the life comfortable also for my wife.

Conclusion; Always a question of your own circumstances. Read, choose carefully, buy and try ;)
stevie_s

Post by stevie_s »

I have just fitted the Puig screen and it works great. I made a mistake by getting the dark tint initially which in the UK isn't a great idea as we don't tend to have many bright days!! The screen is much bigger than the standard and the dark tint tendered to obscure my view of the road which personally i didn't like. To date i haven't done many miles  but i do prefer Puig to many other makes as I have used them on many of my other bikes without any problems. Another bonus is that they are available in Ebay from Germany for £89+/-  and the company selling them are excellent.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I have fitted the v tecnik screen and my wife comments on how the buffeting has stopped.

As a rider it is easier to get out of the air without it fully up.  Quality and fitment is v good
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote: I've got the BMW comfort screen, which I like.

Hardly any taller but the extra width makes it quieter, dryer and warmer...

How tall are you? I quite like the reviews and look of the Werks quiet screen, off to the States week after next, just trying to decide whether to get one delivered to my hotel. I have already ordered some Skene P3 brake lights to be delivered to the Hotel  :)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Read the reviews of the Werks from the links provided in one of the replies. Majority seem pleased, but a few riders are reporting stability problems in winds and speeds over 100. Now in the UK we are a little prone to winds, but of course we don't speed  :)
Sleafordblade
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2020
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

Fitted a puig to my RT lc last week and I am very pleased with it.
The buffeting that was evident on my shoulders has now gone and due to its height I can ride quite comfortably without the screen being moved from its rest position.
It is much wider and higher than the stock but with the obvious benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ggoldfogel

Post by ggoldfogel »

I heave V Streams on 2 other bikes and think they are terrific.  I am new to the RT and so far like the stock windscreen.  Others may know more about specific application to RT but I would absolutely buy another V Stream based on experience.