Weather protection vs. a good hug(ger)

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Weather protection vs. a good hug(ger)

Post by Peter Baker »

I read the weather protection thread here (https://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1140.90.html) very interesting as I never saw this kit advertise so now I have another option.  Has anyone tried this versus getting a decent rear hugger?  I am wondering if adding the weather protection makes it harder to clean behind leaving a lot of crap on the bike:-) So far I have neither so I am in a position to choose!  Peter
guest2360

Re: Weather protection vs. a good hug(ger)

Post by guest2360 »

I know of no rear hugger for an RT and as the shock is nearly fully enclosed one wouldn't do anything.  And yes the kit makes cleaning a bit harder but not impossible
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Yes that is one I had seen, plus there is an assumption on my part that some of the GS or RS huggers will make their way to the RT in time...  Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Picture is not all that clear but it looks like it's connected to the footrest hanger and not the shaft.  On my bike the shaft goes up and down quite a lot. Just looks at the fitting instructions for this.  It's not a hugger after all, just two bits that fit to to the footrest hunger like the OEM kit. A lot smaller though.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes that is one I had seen, plus there is an assumption on my part that some of the GS or RS huggers will make their way to the RT in time...  Peter

Over the years many have tried fitting GS huggers to RTs.  Stock GS ones never fit due to the larger rear wheel on the RT. When makers have supplied ones to fit the wheel many fouled the mudguard when the bike was fully loaded.  Their solution to this was to have the hugger fitting very close to the tyre.  This resulted in lots of damage to the hugger from stones etc sitting up in the tyre tread.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

LC GS's & RT's both have 17" dia. Rear Wheels.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: LC GS's & RT's both have 17" dia. Rear Wheels.
Wider tyre.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

This isn't a hugger, it's the Puig weather protection panels.

I stuck a GS hugger on which worked great at reducing the spray but the metal bracket rubbed on the side of the plastic underside of the bike when I had a pillion aboard.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I have an RTLC and find it very annoying that on a tourer, and a very expensive one, full weather protection is not provided as standard. Hence the various threads on the forum about additional fairing sections and huggers etc. all costing extra.

You could be forgiven for believing that the description of tourer would include such items. Okay the bike does have a vast amount of tourer equipment as standard and I like it for that, but surely weather protection as extensive as possible should be quite fundamental to a bike designed for this purpose and not have some of it as extras.
Last edited by guest2826 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

At the end of the day it's a motorbike and if it rains you get wet.  A bike with fully enclosed wheels would not sell. The K1 was an attempt to do it. So for those of us that don't mind looking like a Honda  Silverwing BMW have kindly designed that bit more protection.  I managed to live with it fitted for 12 months then it got too much.  Now it's hiding somewhere in the shed.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I'd like to see what a K1 looks like
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Maz12 wrote:I'd like to see what a K1 looks like.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Most have a front mudguard that nearly covers the wheel. Gave you an exiting ride in strong cross winds.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Image
Re: Weather protection vs. a good hug(ger) THANKS DAVE