Any one tried a SHAD top box?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Any one tried a SHAD top box?

Post by Steve F »

As you say jimmer, colour match (for the superior blue paint scheme ;) ) and mounting plate is good. I can't help thinking that the SHAD box has a much greater overhang than the OEM box....??
dlb56

Post by dlb56 »

Just installed a Shad SH-50. As noted, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. After figuring out that the holes for the spacers have to be large enough to let them pass through the silver part of the rack, installation went well. Seems to be very secure, but time will tell once I've had an opportunity to load it up and take a few trips.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

As the 50 L Shad box retails for approx £190 less than the OEM 49 L box, I'm intrigued to know what's the main difference between the two, apart from the obvious overhang difference when mounted on the bike and the inevitable mounting adapter plate to fit on the BMW rack. Is the lock as secure and is the plastic shell of the Shad as robust as the Beemer one...?? Surely, the overhang difference of the Shad must affect the pillion posture when he/she is sat astride the bike...??

However, the colour match of the blue Shad lid is pretty much spot on to the SM Blue of the bike. Most impressed! Plus the top box inner bag was included in the £337 price ! Anyway, it will be interesting to hear how these Shad boxes perform when used in anger! :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Shad, Givi, Kappa.  All much the same.  All can be opened with a small spoon and all are single skinned so a lot less robust.  That's why they cost a lot less.  If you load a 50L to the brim you could experience some instability issues at higher speeds
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, as you say RTman10, the competition are single skin boxes and therefore more flexible / less robust. Surprised to read what you said about how weak the lock is on the non-Beemer boxes. Re suspected instability at high speed, that's what would bother me with such a pronounced overhang off the rack.....As I said previously, I'll be keen to hear some feedback on this Shad box in particular.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As far as locking goes I have had experience with the Givi system which I suspect is the same as the Shad.  Big plastic clamp but no multi point lock system like the BMW one.  Snap the clamp and its empty. I suspect owners have found them as secure as Fort Knox and stable at warp 6.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlb56

Post by dlb56 »

Noticed In some of the previous photos that the mount was missing a part of the stock rack. I almost went that way as well, until I figured out the issue with the spacers needing to pass through the silver part of the rack. I believe the mount is supposed to look like the attached.
Attachments
image.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The instructions don't look particularly clear & involve some drilling, http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad5781.pdf
dlb56

Post by dlb56 »

I like the end result, but the instructions are terrible. You do need to do some drilling. Four holes to the silver part of the rack with large enough holes to slip the spacers through. I don't have the "directions" in front of me, but if I interpreted them properly, you basically drill each of the four holes with a pilot hole, then enlargen it twice more until each is 16 mm. There's a template that shows you where the holes should be drilled, but overall, unless you're into reading hieroglyphs, the directions leave a lot to be desired.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Thanks for that clarification dlb56. :)
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

dlb56 wrote: Noticed In some of the previous photos that the mount was missing a part of the stock rack. I almost went that way as well, until I figured out the issue with the spacers needing to pass through the silver part of the rack. I believe the mount is supposed to look like the attached.

It is indeed missing as I elected not to drill it but store it until the time comes to remove the rack. As a point of interest I have taken SWMBO out for about a 60 mile ride as a taster before our forthcoming trip to France and she reported it to be very comfortable indeed. I will take the trouble to report back later in June after the fully loaded trip.

With regards to the comments about the locks, I am a well positioned to comment professionally and I am satisfied with them. I am also satisfied with the construction and the way it fits to the rack, I guess you pay you money and make your choice 👍

Co-incidentally, I met with Steve F recently and as he has an identical bike to mine but with an OEM box, we have said it might be an idea to do a few side by side pics for comparison and even measure the overhang on each.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I have to ask...why would you want a SHAD box when the Givi mount required no drilling?

...and it offers a remote control central locking option.

The Givi Monolock case on my scooter is single-skinned - the Monokey boxes are much more rigid to cope with higher speeds.
John Bentall
jimmer137

Post by jimmer137 »

Hi John

I had a Givi monolock on my Superblackbird and it was ok but I found the lid closing mechanism rather fiddly and temperamental.  I like this Shad box and the colour matched lid was a plus for me. The handle has a nice damped action when it opens and it is easy to use.

As I said earlier, I guess it all comes down to personal taste - if after my forthcoming trip SWMBO is missing from the back of the bike after I arrive at our destination, I guess I may have made a mistake but for now we are both happy with it  ;)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Completely agree with you about colour-matched lids - they can really hide the bulk of a top-box.
John Bentall
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, as jimmer137 says, we'll have to do some photo comparisons of a Shad and the OEM box. Having now seen the Shad box close-up, it might be single skinned, but like the old OEM box, it has a neat fold out handle to assist carrying, and the colour match is pretty darn close to the (superior) SM Blue. Plus the fabric bag liner is a good one too. :)