General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: handling

Post by k9doc »

Although not strictly addressing the OP's point, the following links are worth a read. My conclusion would be, as DD points out, if taking a test, check the examiner's preference, otherwise yer pays yer money and do what comes naturally.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/117235-Which-foot-do-you-use?highlight=Footbrake

http://www.survivalskills.clara.net/riding_skills_43.htm
Chris
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I agree really its a matter of what you feel comfortable with 2 feeet down it don't matter.

I have a nasty habit of pulling up short on bad/blind junctions, then slowly inching forward with both feet down till I can see ( when I say short I mean 2 foot short)

To me that is a confidence thing,  Ive noticed it since Ive got older but what the hell it don't matter, I ride with the same group and they are all aware and expect it, go on the side of safety and what feels right.

When loaded and filling up I always stop 6ft before the pump and slowly pull forward with both feet down. I always set off covering back brake.

Its same as I always put side stand down before I put bike on main stand, just in case wet boot slips off main stand
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still can't work out how all this talk about what foot to put down will help Yorkieboy get round corners. 
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Perhaps Dave could post another picture
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: Perhaps Dave could post another picture

Of what?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yorkieboy wrote:Think i need to find so rt owners and get so lessons
Lots of the Police Motorcycle Sections use RT's & here's the list of those who offer BikeSafe Workshops, http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/locate-a-force/,
a good place to start if you are looking for some help to improve your skills.

The first thing to learn is how to STOP correctly, [Tick].

i2i Motorcycle Academy http://www.i2imca.com/About.asp offer Machine Control Skills, including Cornering.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote: Still can't work out how all this talk about what foot to put down will help Yorkieboy get round corners.

This may help you.  :D

Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That'll do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Question
On the bikes with hill control, when it's engaged are the brake lights on, just asking
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be because the back brake is fully engaged. Must admit though I've not bothered to get off to check. if somebody is going to rear end the bike the difference between having the rear light on and the brake light light on isn't going to deter them I suspect.
yorkieboy

Post by yorkieboy »

Thanks everyone for the replies

I have previously owned a CBF1000, which i dod my RoSPA exam on (Gold) a few years back. I bought my ZZR1400 3 years ago and from day 1 felt comfortable going around bends without the thought that im going to lose the rear wheel.

Its been a few weeks now and i realise i need to downshift and keep the revs higher and purposefully drive it through bends, however its a bugger to control at very low speeds in town. Not helped that the seat is very high and i can only get the balls of my feet on the floor.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yorkieboy wrote:Not helped that the seat is very high and i can only get the balls of my feet on the floor.
If not already fitted, would a low seat option be any help.

The standard seat height is 820 - 840mm, the low seat is 780 - 800mm.
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Yorkieboy,    Definitely get a low seat, balls off feet no good for this type of bike/weight. 

That really knocks yer confidence cos all you are thinking about is the next stop, cambers and the like.

Secondly at slow speeds keep revs up slightly (so as not to stall) and try controlling speed with back brake application, when you see people manouvering through cones they are using the rear brake to control speed. Just remember to keep engine revs a little higher than tickover.

Its just practice really and feel the bike and the brake I would go onto Tesco car park and practice a bit off weaving BUT get that seat sorted first
yorkieboy

Post by yorkieboy »

Yes definitely have the lowered seat on the list, and will practice the slow maneuvering skills as suggested.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There is quite a difference in height depending on your pre load settings. With the engine running go from One up to Two up with luggage and you will feel the bike rise noticeable. I could never use The Two up setting as my feet left the ground .
The problem was solved with the LC as it selves adjusts the difference.